Hi, I was wondering about medical application of hypnosis. Can hypnosis really heal illnesses? I always thought that hypnosis is used to help people with their suppressed memories and for amusement of course. When I was little I used to love that stage hypnotist who could make people do what ever he wanted. Now they say that hypnosis can heal. Is this treatment approved by medical community?

Hi, the term medical hypnosis considers the use of hypnosis in medical purposes. It can be used to treat migraines, high blood pressure, it helps broken bones to heal faster and it is used to help psychiatric patients as well. The hypnotherapy is widely accepted as therapy amongst medical professionals. How hypnotherapy works is not quite clear yet. Scientists think that hypnosis puts patients into a state of mind where they become more susceptible to suggestion. This way hypnotherapy can be used to alter patient's view of certain body functions. For instance it can teach patients to react properly to stressful situations and avoid neck pain and other stress related illnesses.