Please tell me if this is linked to anxiety, I was on the computer last saturday when all of the sudden i got really light headed i went to the kitchen got some water and started to panic about what could be making me so lightheaded. I started with thinking it was a heart attack, i felt like i couldn't swallow. I also had sweaty hands and shortness of breath. Im only 16 so i know i wasnt having a heart attack. I finally calmed down and now ever since that I've been having what i think are "tension headaches' my head feels real tight. I feel slightly lightheaded at times. I get sweaty palms and i feel its hard to swallow. I also get feeling as if i need to gasp for air or that im short of breath. I definatly consider myself a worrier. i get a side pain i think the worst... also with the lightheadedness i thought of every possible head problem u could have that i know of.
Any help would be great.

-Thanks

It could be linked to anxiety or it could be linked to something else. It's not common to have symptoms like that, even when someone worries a lot. You should probably see a doctor and see if anything's going wrong.

Hi. In my case, it was linked to anxiety. I had that constant lightheadedness and it was really hard for me to handle them. I have tried so many things, I even changed my lifestyle, but nothing much happened at all. I live pretty much OK now, I am fine, I deal with it, but those symptoms are killing me. I agree with that one, visiting your doctor should be your first option. I mean, this is how I find out that I have this issue in the first place. I do have some other symptoms, but lightheadedness is my biggest worry at this moment. 

BedsonTrudeau wrote:

Ive been to the doctor and he gave me zoloft. i didnt want to take it cause im afraid of what it will do to me. Since i worry so much i think that its something else besides anxiety.

Anxiety can cause many physical symptoms such as light heads, dizziness, head aches, neck shoulder pains and the list goes on and on. If it is anxiety the cure is finding the cause and I believe the best way to do this is through therapy/counselling. Talking to an impartial person can be a great release. You could also try some relaxation techniques such as meditation and deep breathing but I agree with the above post that you should talk to you doctor again to see if there could be anything else wrong.

its not like a constant thing, i didnt mention that i am depressed also I get attacks like shortness of breath being lightheaded etc.. i just recently started seeing a councelor ive only had one visit so it hasnt been productive yet. But ive notice it goes away for short periods of time like when im enjoying myself. But once i start to worry about anything i get the Band around my head feeling. Ive looked up symptoms of anxiety. I usually feel as if there is a band around my head and it is one of the symptoms. I personally think that it is G.A.D Generalized Anxiety Disorder. i also have IBS. So i was just asking if you thought the same as the Doctor to help me insure myself that it is anxiety and not some freakish disease im going to die from. <--- Hypocontriact.. not to mention i did exagerate a little my first post.

you could have asthma.
or any number of allergies.
or maybe you just have a personality like that. I am the same way. I am on zoloft. I hate it. it sucks. I don't care about anything and I am doing poorly in school.

Celebrity
Drew, join a cbt group. It's the most effective treatment for anxiety and panic and it has given me my life back.

The symptoms you are describing can all be related to Anxiety. The first step for someone that is having their first Anxiety attack is to rule out medical causes. It seems you have done that by visiting your doctor. His/her training has compelled them to prescribe you Zoloft. Zoloft is used to treat both Anxiety and Depression.

My problem is that medical doctors take ONE psychology course while in Medical School (Psychiatrists excluded). They perscribe these all encompassing drugs and their patients love them for curing them. Until it's time to stop taking that medication and they suddenly get their depression and anxiety back.

I'm not against using medication. I'm against thinking it is a cure or long-term solution. Medication and therapy can provide you will the skills to control your depression and anxiety long after you have stopped taking Zoloft.

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) has shown to be very effective in treating Anxiety. I suggest you see if your insurance will pay for Psychotherapy and contact a Psychologist that takes your insurance.

Celebrity
I agree. It's always important to rule out a medical cause. Now if it is anxiety related and this sounds like panic to me, you should give cbt a try. I highly recommend cbt for panic, anxiety and depression. If you can't afford a cbt group pick up a copy of Been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz and start doing the tea form exercise in it. This is one of the two books we used in my group. The more you work on the exercises the more relief you get, I am still improving today. Hang in there and let me know how you are doing.

It does sound like panic attacks...when I first started getting them, I was also getting these horrible migraines, I thought I was about to have seizures! I took my self to the ER and they did a catscan...turns out that it was just tensions headaches...it took months about a month or more to go away after I started on medication. I am on medication, prozac; zoloft didn't do anything for me. The thing with medicines such as zoloft, they are just there to relieve the attack for that moment, and that's it... I actually had to go on long term meds in order to get better, and also therapy. CBT is also good though I haven't tried it yet. If yu want to find good information and Drs. go to this site NIH.GOV and NIMH.GOV , I am recently taking an Abnormal psychology class which is helping me a lot in understanding Panic Disorder. These are some of the web sites we use for research. Don't be scared, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DIE!!!! There IS HOPE!!!!

For anxiety/panic related problems, I've always seen it working in cases where the person focuses on non-medicinal solutions, even if he/she is already consuming drugs. This helps in three ways - reduce the current dosage/dependence on drugs and its side effects, reduce the pressure on ones finances, and most importantly - lead a more fulfilling life by taking back control over it.

There are two things I've seen working

1) A technique called - SFBT or solution-focused brief therapy. Here you should be seeing difference in a just 4 to 5 sessions. You'll feel good even earlier if you have a good therapist. There are good centers and trained practitioners in UK, US, Europe and Australia.

2) An increasingly popular self-help method called the one-step techniqe. The best part of it is that you can do this yourself - irrespective of whether you are new or already undergoing some therapy/drugs. Mail me at *********for more details about this.

You have solutions. So don't worry!

Take care.

Celebrity
Great post Nushi's. You definitely need to give CBT a try because not only can it get rid of panic it can help you deal with daily stresses and help you train your brain to get the most out of everyday.

CBT is amazing and has been a blessing for me. The TEA form exercise works wonders.

Celebrity
Anyone else not receiving post reply notifications the past couple of weeks? Thx.