Hi, I started to experience attacks of anxiety and panic, since I‘m using marijuana. I’m getting worried, since it hasn’t happened before. Is there any real connection between anxiety and marijuana?

Hi, I also had that problem and even now sometimes if I exaggerate with cannabis, hashish, marijuana, or however you call it. Marijuana can produce paranoia, because it has the ability to change your brain's perception of the world. Any substance that influences your behavior is harmful to some degree, so are caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and drugs. Still, it’s important to know that it is not permanent change and harm. Cannabis alters the way in which your brain functions, by reseting the 'normal' anxiety level at a much higher level. When concentration of certain ingredients falls down behaviour comes back to normal.

I've smoked weed heavily on and off for nearly a year now, and all it ever does is make me feel great. I can recall some slight paranoia, but nothing like serious anxiety...

And also, these 'negative' effects of marijuana only exist while you are high, once its worn off you will feel pretty much normal, perhaps a slight tired feeling.

Basically, with weed, its all positive effects with very little negative (none at all in my experience). So keep smoking it, its harmless.

So you have started expiernceing panic attacks when useing Cannabicea,
that is not abnormal, i am a expeirnced Cannabis user i am only 18 but have used this herb for about 6 years in total, but anyways back to your qoustion why am i getting an anxiety attack from some thing that is sappased to mello me out?

ANSWER:

Cannabis is a herb yes and often is grown in artaficail envioroments and thus has to to be spread with varous pestacides. But what also can contribute to this feeling is that you are eathier sacherating you system with this herb, no this is not documented and i don't expext you to find any evadence of this but useing mary jane all the time in can lead to massive heart murmers and feeling of extream intensity, sweating, heart beat skipping,Left arm getting num, brain pattern is speedyer,

that is what they call anaflectic shock it may seem like this is a bunch of Bogas Bowl, but it's not i had to get rushed in to the hospital two years ago on account that i made some brownies and decided that it would be a good day to indulge and i did i felt fine but after three hours they kicked in completly my heart raced i tryied to calm down but instead i freaked and callapsed and woke up in abulance with heart equipment connected to my chest, my heart was going 189 and rising they had to give me 35 CC valum and then have me hooked in to a IV to give my body a constant flow of water, they did a toxicity screen to check for Methamphetamine and cociane and MDMA but they find nothing of that nature just Sativa and indica, they told me that i would never Blow another reef again but i showed them inspite of me not feeling so hot when i toke i insisted and kept trying eventually i stopped for about two years then what i thought was going to be the unthinkable happened i wnet to a party and got really slammed and toked but i didn't get anxic i was mello and hapy no sweats no heart mumers nothing just good old fashioned THC,

So you should serously consider a break from pot for a while,
Much love one 07 Captain cannabis

I used to smoke pot a significant amount, nothing extreme... sometimes id smoke everyday.. sometimes i wouldnt.. it would be like that on and off for about 2.5 years. i noticed though that i was quite spacier and stupid and lost a lot of concentration that i used to have. i guess that is expected from using to much marijuana. but i recently have experienced a series of cycles of depression and anxiety. whether the cause of such anxiety disorders was caused by the pot or not, i can no longer smoke pot without having these crazy terrible thoughts. i get anxious to the point where i pretty much cant stop telling myself to commit suicide. in most medical cases anxiety and depression truely surfaces from ages 18-24. i am almost 20 now and can say that so far that seems true. i went to a bunch of drs to deal with my issues and many of them explained that people with anxiety disorder or depression or bipolar etc. typically start to experience panick attacks and such when they are stoned. if you get paranoid every now and then that is probably normal. but if u smoke a lot and cant stop the negative feelings and such... you may have anxiety disorder or something to that degree. also try and think about your life when you are not high... are you typically sad/careless about decisions?/loss of interest in old hobbies/feelings of wanting to be alone? if you do feel like this sober than there is a big chance you have a disorder that can be solved with some zoloft or other pills. my anxiety is so bad that i had to take klonopin and actually wasnt nervous when i smoked pot after taking that med. but i probably should stay away from alcohol and pot for now so i can try and get better. hope this helps people realize something about themselves ... i could be saving your life and you dont even know it

i have been diganosed with bi-polar satge II and am hypo-manic. I have about 3-10 anxity attacks a day and have been taking xanax for a while now. I have recently been trying to wheen myself off the xanax (due to the fact that it's horribly accidcting) and have been replacing it with cannabis indica. I have found that the sativa has a more of a speedy high with more paronia and trippiness. However, the cannabis indica variety seems to be real relaxing and has a more sleepy or coutchlock effect that seems to work really well to help my anxity. Weed works!! Legalize it!!!

While I agree that weed for some people can change their life for the better. I would hate to see it legalized freely as there would be a large increase in car accidents and young people being addicted. Pot can easily ruin your life as it almost did mine. However, your research about the indica/savita issue is correct. You sound like a perfect person for medical marijuana. It's good that you realized and found this out and that it helps you. But, keep in mind that it can be very addicting and extremely difficult to cut back if decide to change your amounts.

Also, I would think that Xanax is not the best choice for you panic attacks. The addiction is very high for Xanix it as it has a very short life. There are many other benzo's and I would look at that have slower release times. Xanix is very addicting and I thought it was more for short term stress.
Good luck.

I have a question about pot...I haven't smoked it a whole lot but I have a few times...like maybe 20 times my whole life...all this year... and I was wondering... can it be causing me anxiety now, even though I haven't smoked any in almost a month??? Because just these past couple of weeks have been horrible for me with my anxiety...I've always had anxiety but NEVER this bad before. I'm paranoid & worried about every little thing...I'm scared that I'm dying or something!!!
BTW I'm NEVER smoking it again. I only tried it in the first place cause somebody told me it helped anxiety(which in small doses I found that it did help me be a bit more talkative & relaxed --but in large doses it is BAD). But I'm going to get REAL help for my anxiety, from a doctor...with anxiety medication.

I have smoked bud for about six years i am 16 years old and i a have a big problem. I have smoked marijuana and was just fine for all these years exept this past month. I got off work and i smoked a blunt. After about 45 min. I started to feel very weird , my hert beat raced and i collapesd . My whole body started tingeling first it was my left arm. i had to go straight to the emergency room. I have the feeling of that problem coming on all the time aconstantly when im sober . but when i have smoked bud it triiggers really bad i need to know if it is an anxiety disorder or if it is just the bud.

Hey,
This site is awesome, I feel connected to yall!
My feelings are this
- I want to smoke weed, but everytime I do I get too panicky
- I read that the chances of getting a heart attack are incresed 5 times in the first hour of smoking - uh oh paranoid of that thought - now I'll never smoke again - but I want to ...hmmmm search for new evidence oh yes here...that study was not on point...another doctor talked to that one and they both agreed its shaky, regardless...a major study was done a few years back with tens of thousands of more people and showed no link between death and weed...so heart attacks wouldnt even be a probelm
- I miss when I was 16-21 smoking weed, feeling high relaxed, now I can't achive that high
- oh well I am now in a 4 year relationship with an amazing and beautiful girl who hates weed and alchohol and has improved me, I'm loved up - looking at all my friends who smoke weed - they haven't had girls for over 5 years, so why do I want to smoke weed if thats not what I want
- yes, socially I feel like I'm missing out tempted to smoke again even though its on and off reactions....but you know what Im thinking?
Those people arn't really fun untill their on something

I'm in between wanting to smoke and saying---screw it..link pain to it
like screw it, Not even...I have nothing against weed smokers..I used to be all for it and yes sometimes I wish I can go back, but Im in a dilema...basically I'm deciding not to go back...looking at my life off weed...I got into a relationship thats fulfilling, moved out on my own, going for my goals, I'm healthy, energetic life is good!

Anyhow all you people are great and I feel connected to you...have an excellent day!

Hello all,

Thank you for all the great experiences shared, first of all. InI a rasta man of 21 and have been smoking 2 ounces of herb a week for 4 years now. No matter how down I felt or happy or sick or in pain or just feeling negative, the herb seemed to blow away any and all wickedness and sorrow - a true blessing from Jah! There was no limit to the beautiful heights herb would take me. I am extremely health conscience and follow the ways of the nazarites spoken of in the Bible (no alcohol, meat or anything not directly out of earth). Until a month ago I felt amazing... at the gym 5 days a week, running, biking everywhere, working. One month ago I was bit by a widow spider while hiking alone off a trail near my home in Oregon. I was overcome with disorientation, racing heart, short breath, very faint, eventual full body numbness. InI were stuck for at least an hour in the one spot. I yelled for anybody that might be near, but got no answer... eventually a man taking a jog on trail heard my cry and came to me and I was able to get medical attention. In my youth (age8-12) had some anxiety usually around school and feeling very much like an outsider. However, since that time I have overcome any of that, with the exception of the usual uneasy feelings of being intimate with someone for the first time and the like. In general though, I had made my decision about what InI are here on earth to do and felt no fear in any situation because I understand the silliness in being fearful - it is just life - that's all we 'ave so we must 'ave it! Since the bite, and that whole experience I developed a fear of being alone, of driving, of any exercise, of being anywhere I know I can't immediately get out of, cant take it too cold or too hot, and worst of all my one God given remedy to all that ales me (MARIJUANA) all of which throws me into a severe panic attack even when i smoke very little. I had Never experienced these fears or panic when using herb... it was always a total blessing :-( I didnt even mention ALL the tress I endured leading to this, but lets just say it has been a trying year anyway. A doctor believing i had developed an anxiety condition prescribed Clonazepam at least to allow my mind to be at ease and deal with any actual symptoms from the bite without dealing with anxiety. I am absolutely against pharmie drugs except as a last resort, but after losing 20 pounds from a body that didnt need to lose one and feeling like im slowly dying, I thought maybe I'd concede for now.

I would love ANY advice as to when I may be able to enjoy herb and life again as I knew it as I feel like a different person completely in just one short month - and while I am thankful for every little thing I miss being an active participant of life! Bless you all and of course all thanks and praise the Most High HIM Jah Rastafari for Iver.

Below is a website that may further help in your inquires:

******

**edited by moderator**web addresses not allowed**

Alrite so ive been reading a lot of people's comments on how and i see that some of us have been going through the same things. Ive smoked for about 3 and half years and wen i did, i was smoking anywhere from 2-7 times a day!......it wasnt until recently that i had to pretty much quit smoking for like a month and now i jus smoke occasionaly on the weekends. I stopped pretty much because i was getting serious panic attacks where my arms would get numb and my heart raced and id sweat badly. i used to be able to drive fine on weed but then i couldnt nemore cuz i was always freaking out and having bad anxiety attacks...I almost blacked out a couple of times and i had to always go home and try and calm myself down through breathing techniques and anti-anxiety techniques. Id even eat food to help me get unblazed lol...the only times i can ever smoke now is once in a while during the weekends and it hasta be wen im drinking cuz for sum reason, alcohol and weed together clear my head and i dnt ever get anxiety attacks wen i combine them. So thats sum advice for those that went through the same stuff, jus smoke wen ur drunk and ull feel more drunk and better! lol

Hey guys, unfortunately, I am going through the same problems as everyone else. I have been a very big pot smoker for the last 8 months and i've just entered my first semester as a freshman in College. The whole summer I smoked every day of the week and I felt amazing. When I came to college I had decided to settle down for a little bit and try handling things without the THC on my lungs 24/7. College was a huge change and I became very stressed with work, meeting new people, and my confidence. After two weeks of not smoking I lit up my first blunt and ended up puking, also, I developed a very bad headache - I figured it was bad bud and I would be fine the next time. The next time I decided to smoke was when I was very drunk one night with my best friend. After five minutes of the blunt my heart began to beat VERY fast and I had trouble breathing: I really thought I was going to die, this was the worst pain and worry I have ever experienced. Ever since this incident I have tried smoking but the rapid heart palpitations have remained prevalent. After seeing a doctor they concluded that I am facing an anxiety disorder. I hope after seeing a counselor and getting medicine I will be able to smoke again. This is a horrible predicament but I believe if one can take care of the anxiety problem, they will be able to smoke again.
-Does anyone know if medicine will allow one to smoke again?
-Has anyone overcome anxiety and continued smoking again?
Please help me and if u guys need to talk just reply. It is a sucky predicament to be in but I never want to give up on weed. Anxiety is a b***h, HELP ME GUYS!

It can be a combination of both. I am 24 yrs old and been smoking since I was 14. I thought it used to help me with my anxiety order, but I just recently quit because it started making it worse and other things that it made me feel uncomfortable. Your body changes all the time and you are still young. Do yourself a favor try to quit now. Being dependant on a drug is not the greatest thing for your body. Especially if you been smoking since you were 10 yrs old your body is probably changing. Everybody's body processes are different.

i need help...everytime i smoke i get paranoid...i think everyones stealing my sh*t..i think im freaking out or talking too much..i think everyone hates me which results in me leaving the room and going to talk to myself in a corner for about 10 mins...everytime i leave the room i hear all my friends laughing but when i go back they dont even say a word to me or eachother ... are they laughing behind my back about me? or do i just end up leaving at the wrong times when theres actually something funny going on..my breathing gets all weird( or so i think)...everyday after i smoke and wake up..i ask my good friend if i was acting weird last night or anything at all and he says no...but theres just a sinking feeling that i become a freak everytime im high and everyone hates me....look at me...im still kinda high, im blabbering on about nothing... i just want to know if i keep smoking..will i eventually get used to it and stop being paranoid...or will it always be like this?