Lately I have been searching something about human central nervous system. There I found interesting facts about anatomy of human brain. They said that in the anatomy of mammals, the hypothalamus is a region of the brain located below the thalamus. All this I found so far and not understandable at all so I would like you to tell me more. Can you explain to me what is hypothalamus, and what is it used for in human brain?

Hypothalamus is forming the major portion of the ventral region of the diencephalons. It is functioning to regulate certain metabolic processes and other autonomic activities. The hypothalamus links the nervous system to the endocrine system by synthesizing and secreting neurohormones. Hormones or hypothalamus are important and often called releasing hormones, because they function by stimulating the secretion of hormones from the anterior pituitary gland. The neurons that secrete one of those hormones are linked to the limbic system, which is very involved in the control of emotions and sexual activity. The hypothalamus is also the area of the brain that controls body temperature, hunger and thirst, as well as circadian cycles. The hypothalamus connects to the pituitary gland via the tuberoinfundibular pathway, and it has anatomic boundaries. Rostral or hypothalamus is lamina terminalis, caudal is the posterior margin of the mamillary bodies. On the other side or dorsal there is placed hypothalamic sulcus, while medial is the third ventricle. Lateral of hypothalamus is subthalamus and internal capsule, and ventral are optic chiasm, tuber cinereum, mammillary bodies, and posterior pituitary. Research has shown that at least one nucleus in the hypothalamus is sexually dimorphic, which is very interesting fact.