I gained so much weight before I even realized I was suffering from hypothyroidism. I was desperately trying to get rid of it with no success and I was really devoted to it. It is after so many attempts that I have sought medical help and they put me on tests and finally prescribed levoxyl. But the thing is after 4 months of levoxyl, not a pound down. AM I doing something wrong? What are your experiences?

Well, you didn’t mention if you have been on a diet since starting levoxyl. You can’t use levoxyl just to lose weight. Levothyroxine is a slow-acting hormone and it may take several weeks before you notice an improvement in your symptoms. Are you having regular blood check ups? You should, in order to see if this dosage suits you!

Hey,

I have been on levoxyl since I was about 16 so it has been 5 or 6 years. I still feel awful being on it. I blood tests and they say they are fine. I am tired all the time, I don't get regular periods and I am gaining weight. I don't eat nearly as much as most people and I work out but I keep gaining weight. Also, I am trying to get pregnant but without having regular cycles it is making it a bit hard. We have been trying for over a year now and nothing. I don't know what to do about any of it. Any suggestions?

Katie
_[removed]_

To Katie,
I am no expert, but I can relate to your situation (a little). I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My doc put me on Levoxyl, but after 2 months on it, I still wasn't feeling any better and still had all the symptoms I had before (weakness, fatigue, hair loss, etc). So, I was so desperate I decided to double my dose (take 2 25mcg pills instead of just the one my doc prescribed). Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not advising you to go do this or anything, but all I am saying, is that I talked to my doc about the fact that I had been taking double the dose for 2 weeks and he was shocked and said he would have never done that (because my levels were in the normal range at 25mcg), but 2 months later I just got re-tested again and my levels are "in a very, very good range" and I feel 100 times better. Again, I'm not saying you should double your dose or anything, all I am saying is that it is VERY possible that even though you are "in the normal range," you are still not at the right range for YOUR body (each person's level is different and the normal range is a very wide range), so I would talk to your doc asap and if he won't listen and isn't willing to try changing your dose until you feel better, then I would keep trying different docs until you find one that is. Again, though, I am no medical professional, so these are just my personal opinions. Also, from what I understand hypothyroidism does cause infertility, so if your levels are still not right for your body, then that could also be the reason why you are having a tough time conceiving (and it could take up to a year after you are on the right dose until you are able to conceive, which is good anyway, because having an off-balance thyroid during your pregnancy--whether hypothyroid or hyperthyroid can negatively affect the baby's development).

Hope this helps,
Jenn

I also doubled my dosage for awhile. I got worried that I might be harming myself, and stopped. I never told my doctor what I was doing. I did feel better, though.

My doctor put me on 25 mcg and I was still feel fatigue and moody so I ask her to raise my dosage and she change it to 75 mcg and I feel alot better.

Hi everyone. I'm just wanting to see if i'm not alone on this struggle. I'm 21 and i was diagnosed with thyroid cancer when i was 18. Before that i never had regular period ever! but i had them. since my operation, i only have them if i take some kind of progesterone or birth control. The funny thing is i don't need birth control becauase my husband and i have been having unprotected sex for almost 6 years and never got pregnant. I have done everything to try to lose weight. It's so hard and i'm really startin to just give up. I've even taken phenteremine. I don't know what else to do. Also my husband and i really really want children. I know i'm young and everyone always says there is time, but if i haven't conceived yet, what ar emy chances of ever. Also i'm takin 150mcg of synthroid What do i do?

I have just been diagnosed with underactive thyroid, starting on 25mg I have found that my hands, feet and knees are warming up a treat but I still have the depression and mood swings, I take the medication as stated but it is early days only 2 weeks so there is an improvement.

just over a year ago i began to put on weight, despite running marathons and having a fantastic diet... finally about about six months ago i was diagnosed with an underactiv thyroid and adrenal exhaustion and am now on whole thyroid (a combination of t3 and t4) yet despite my symptoms reducing and no longer having to slleep 14 hours each day I still havent lost any weight, and if anything have continued to put it on.... i dont know what to do anymore and am so frustrated... have gone from just over 9 stone(60 kg ) to just over 12 stone (80kg)... does any one have any ideas as i am almost at my wits end.

I also have hypothyroid and watch/count every calorie I place in my mouth. I used to be 106 lbs. and within 8 months I have gained over 10 lbs.

I've had hypothyroid for over 10 years (since I was 15 and was 92 lbs. @ the time and skyrocketed to 129lbs.) and now its been harder than ever to lose weight.

I struggle with this every day of my life and the worst part is I exercise about 4x a week. I am not sure how to lose the weight?

If anyone has any idea, opinion, HELP # to a thyroid nutritionist?
I would certainly appreciate it!

I also thought that just because someone was told they were in the normal range didn't mean that that was a normal range for me. I have been on Synthroid since i was 30 years old. I am now 52 and cannot lose a pound no matter what I have done! I have been seriously walking 30 minutes a day and weight training since 6 months ago and have not lost a pound. I eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast and a salad for lunch and a salad and soup for dinner and NOTHING! I'm so frustrated. My daughters getting married in May and I need to lose 20 pounds in 10 weeks. I just doubled my dose. I see the doctor on Wednesday and I'm just going to tell him this is it give me more or I go somewhere else. I'll let you know if it works. Oh I quit smoking 9 months ago and have gained 20 pounds since then. I'm thinking that may have changed everything for me.

I have suffered from accute fatigue for years, and was diagnosed M.E six years ago, but refused this diagonis, read everything I could and found a wonderful Dr kinner in Birmingham, who has kindly been treating me for an under active thyroid, six years later I feel a different person and four years ago age sixty, went out to work full time for the first time in my life, I am on 150 thyroxine and four grains of Armour thyoxine, daily, never felt so well, and my GP keeps telling me no wonder I feel so well on such a high does, well exscuse me for feeling well, after over fifty years of always feeling ill, and never enjoying a good quality life like i do now, and my GP TELLS ME I'm going to die, well at least I shall die happy, so anyone out there never give up hope, there are doctors who can and will help, from Louise Cambridge.

I have been on Levoxyl for about 29 days. 25mgs 1 time a day.

One major thing I've noticed is an increase in pulse and BP. My pulse used to be 65 resting. Now, it's about 80. BP was as low as 105/65. Max was 121/80. Now, it's as high as 149/96.

WHAT IS GOING ON? I walk around in winter without a coat. In fact, today, just a tshirt, and it was below freezing.

I'm going to get a thyroid test in a week. But I want off this c**p.

Just a thought, for the people who cant conceive. There are some Chinese medicine doctors(somewhat like a naturopath) and they have been known to cure women who cannot conceive. Just a thought, not saying it will work.. but cant hurt to try!

Hi everyone i too have and underactie thyroid and take 200mcg a day and still feel fatigue, lathargic and could sleep 24 hours a day. I have been on these meds for 6 years now and i have gone from 10 stone to 12 and a half stone and find it frustratingly hard to lose any weight i have been on a diet now for the last 2 months consuming only 1000 calories per day and going to the gym which isnt helping at all i have terrible mood swings now and am extra extra tired and haven't lost a pound. My periods are so irregular and i get really bad headaches but one good thing is i have had two children whilst being on the meds and didn't find it hard to conceive at all getting pregnant within a few weeks the only thing now is the weight issue its really getting me down has anyone with thyroid problems lost weight? and if so please tell all. :-)