'Quote:

my breasts are leaking a clear white fluid, and they are very sore. but i'm not pregnant.

I have done a pregnancy test and it came back negative. I have also just come on my period. I am really worried as to what this might be, due to me not being pregnant. Please can you tell me please.
ThanksQuote:

Well, I would start with reporting this incident to your doctor.

Milk production can be caused by high prolactin levels. Prolactin is a hormone secreted by the pituitary gland in the brain.

Some causes of high prolactin levels are:

1. pregnancy
2. a type of pituitary tumor (growth) that produces prolactin (not malignant)
3. stress, exercise, nipple stimulation, chest wall lesions (scars, pacemakers), or sexual stimulation
4. medications such as certain blood pressure medications, anti-nausea drugs or antipsychotics
5. kidney failure
6. cirrhosis of the liver
7. primary hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid gland)
8. compression of the pituitary stalk from tumors, empty sella syndrome or sarcoidosis

I suppose you would worry the most about this pituitary tumor.
Dn't get alarmed if your doctor decided to check for it.
statistics show that these tumors are not rare. Up to 10 percent of people have some sort of pituitary tumor.

However, having high prolactin levels doesn't necessarily mean a pituitary tumor. However, if the condition exists, it is usually easily treated with medication and surgery is rarely needed.