I am diagnosed with hypothyroidism, so I started to read some articles about this disorder. In one newspaper, I have read that eating soy products is harmful when person has thyroid disorder. This surprised me a lot, since I have been listening completely my life how soy products are health. Now I do not know what to think about this, should I eat health soy products, or should I avoid it?

Soy's effect on thyroid was first noticed when hypothyroid babies were given soy formula, ad they became more severely hypothyroid. They were unable to overcome the anti-thyroid effects of soy, so I guess here is simple answer to your question. A report to this effect appeared in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1960, and since then many other small studies have confirmed that soy is a goitrogen. This means soy products contain a substance that can cause enlarged thyroid known as a goiter. Endocrinologists, thyroid specialists, are frequently unaware of the potential anti-thyroid effects of soy on hypothyroid women who are in menopause and are often eating a lot of soy. Recent research leaves little doubt that dietary isoflavones in soy have a profound effect on thyroid function. A study by Japanese researchers concluded that intake of soy by healthy adults for a long duration caused enlargement of the thyroid. Beside this effect, consummation of soy product leads to the suppressing thyroid function. These researchers studied the effects of feeding 30 g of soybeans per day on thyroid function and found that after one month there was a significant increase in thyroid stimulating hormone.

yes, manders, you best avoid soy and anything with soy in it; I know it's difficult to find, but if you check food labels carefully you can find what foods have soy and which do not...it does take a concerted effort.

studies have shown that soy inhibits thyroid function and also thyroid medications...and if you are hypo, then it spells trouble for your body.

I can tell you more if you wish

to your good health,