Is is normal that I am a month away from being 14 and still haven't had my period. My sister, mom, and aunt all had theirs when they were 10 and 11. I was a competitive gymnast for 8 years (20 hours of training a week) and am a dancer now. I am 5'3" and 103 lbs. I'm sorta developed and have had discharge, but it seems like I've been this way for over a year. Help!

Hi honey! It is TOTALLY normal - you are well in the range of a healthy time period! Most women develop till about 19 - SO many things can happen in that time! Usually if you get heavy hair in your pelvis and underarms periods follow shortly after - it's ALL about hormones! Plus you are VERY active - which can also hold off a period (as we don't really need one, so your body shuts down what it doesn't really need anymore - so the energy can be saved for doing ALL the exercises! Until you are 19 your period can start whenever! so I will tell you what I tell other young girls, ALWAYS ALWAYS carry protection with you - or keep it in your locker! Because virtually every woman on this planet can tell you about THAT DAY! The day when you bleed SO mucha nd are caught off guard and your clothes and chairs are toast! IT's AWFUL so decide if you are going to be using a tampon - IF so then you need to use the smallest in diameter (ones for young girls/teens) they aren't as absorbent, also have pads - with wings (they secure to your underpants better - especially with moving around like you are) There are also studies that show the older you are - "becoming a woman" the lesser chances for ovarian and vaginal cancer!!! That is INTERESTING to me - so don't wish too much for this thing it IS the bane of women! ;-D Hope this helps!

Celebrity
bambi has a point. It is normal - and you shouldn't worry. perhaps you are on the lower end of a normal BMI, but it is still okay. I got my period when I was 12, and only several girls I know got it earlier. Most of the girls got it when they were somewhere between 12-15. I think you are all right.
Bambi is right regarding excessive exercise - it might hold your period back...
regarding heavy bleeding the first time - well, I didn't bleed that much - so i guess it is different with everyone... Good luck and I think there's no need to worry.