I had a laminectomy & discectomy L/4 and L/5 on June 4th 2012. I had issues with my back since 2003 but, with the help of a chiropractor I was able to live a wonderful normal life again. I had tried every type of procedure to help my back before surgery. In Aug. 2011, I woke up with pain that felt like my left hip over time this pain got worse. Again, I tried non- surgical procedures. Nothing worked and over time the pain was worse until i was not even able to walk a few feet without almost passing out. After 9 months, I decided to have the surgery. I woke up after surgery with NO pain in my left leg, standing totally straight and I was on top of the world and i left the hospital only a few hrs after the surgery. I took no pain meds going home except a regiment of toreadal for five days. I was able to walk and I felt that I was given a new life. Until, 9 days after my surgery i began to have stiffness and I decided to take a easy light day of resting and light walking. Over that time, the pain got worse and NOT even on the same side as before OR down the leg. I went along with no pain meds but 2 days after the pain worsened I couldnt take it and went to the ER. I had an MRI, which my doctor says is "shakey" In the hospital over night i started to feel better. I walked the halls and I was told i could go home and was given dilorted, valum for spasms. The doctor basically said "oh it's only a muscle pull." just start to walk and sit in a chair, etc. The next morning the pain was back, I called the doctor and they upped the valum and i suggested a steroid which was given. when i asked the nurse how long this possible "muscle pull" might last she said well i dont know maybe 6 months? I am lost as to what to do. I am 29 years old, very active and I can barley even shower. It is so hard for me to think i was walking about a mile 5 days after the surgery and feeling fine and now i am like this( not sleeping, crying at night)? Can anyone help me? Suggestions? please help

Hun.. Do you think you might have been doing waaaay too much too soon?? Cuz I sure do! Will pray for you. Spinal trouble seems to be "spine wide" for lack of a better term. EG: If you have trouble in your neck, later on expect trouble in the lumbar region, and so on. I am about to have surgery on L4 and5. It's excruciating pain, so I truly feel for ya. You're so young.. I hope you do everything you can to protect your spine from what may come as you get older. I'm 54.. could be your mom. I wish you luck

Find a really good neurosurgeon. I can recommend one, depending on where you are. I'm in NW Fla.