hi,

I have a tight foreskin, which is hard to pull over the head of my penis when erect and flaccid. I read that there is a cream I can get with a doctors prescription that will help loosen the skin combined with stretching. I had a couple of questions. Can I get a prescription for this from my local gp, or do I have to see a urologist? And also, will I have to use the cream constantly for the rest of my life (as I've read it wears off after a while) or do I just use it until I can fully retract my penis?

thanks

It's really not the cream that loosens your foreskin, it is the stretching. As skin stretches new cells grow. That's why it gets looser.

You do need to stretch your foreskin. You can use a light oil, like olive oil, to help you work the foreskin. Take your time and don't force it but work it as much as you can. In a couple of weeks you should see a noticeable improvement.

If this doesn't work then yes, go see your doctor. I'd suggest a urologist over the GP. This is the urologists area of specialty.

FYI, if you're around 16 or so, it is not uncommon to have a tight foreskin.

Good luck. Let us know how you're doing.

Medic-dan is right on.

I would have suggested a vaseline intensive care lotion or similar massage lotion, but I agree...it's the gentle, patient, repeated stretching OVER TIME that will relieve this situation.

A lot of guys have this as they develop.

Don't worry. It' gets better. Give it time, though.

The urologist is always better for these kinds of problems, but your GP could also prescribe you the cream should you need it and not be able to get to a urologist. At least I'm sure they can in the UK. Just watch they don't want to get the scissors out. Some doctors take the easy route and just suggest a circumcision, not the way you need to be going right now.

Otherwise, I can only agree with Dan and Kirk on this one. Sometimes hot water helps (like in the bath) or you might find it beneficial to just stretch your foreskin away from your body a couple of times before starting the exercises.

It is a good idea to stay away from urologists whenever one can. Urologists make big bucks doing circumcisions and are quick to recommend them even when conservative treatment will work.

See your GP for a prescription for topical steroid ointment (betamethsone valerate or clobetosol proprionate).