Hi Everyone! I am a seventeen year old girl who was diagnosed with Postural Tachycardia Syndrome after passing out behind the wheel, and had a bad car accident.I have gone through 32 presciptions of medication since July 2005, and my symtoms are no better than before. I could'nt even make it to school, or work today because Im too sick.I know that my Doctor at Duke has tried everything that he knows to do, but is there any more hope for me? I would really like to get back to my normal life.I plan to go to college this Summer, and I would love to start driving again.Does anyone have any suggestions or even some comfort? I don't know what to do anymore?Help!!!!

I don't know anything about your problem but have you ever gotten a second opinion or gone to another doctor who has dealt with this type of syndrome

Please follow your Dr's advice on this. If your condition is severe enough to cause you to lose consciousness while driving (sitting), it could have been a seizure, not related to low blood pressure. Were you extremely tired after the episode? Were you disoriented before or after? Have you been seen by a good cardiologist and neurologist? Anything and everything should be done to get the root of your problem, because hopefully the Dr's can come up with some good treatments. If it is postural tachycardia syndrome as you say, then increasing salt and wearing those nasty old TED hose (compressions stockings) could help, as well as proamatine and florinef to raise /keep your blood pressure up. Sometimes, just dulling down the tachycardia helps with a very small dose of blood pressure meds. Having a good working relationship with all your Dr's is essential. I pray that you can go to college and get on with your life. Whatever the cause of your current difficulties, you owe it to yourself (and other drivers on the road if you start driving again!) to find out ways to treat your disease. God bless you.

i am 17 years old and my mother is diagnoised with POTS and i've been the one doing the research. Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome is a rare but serious disease. Your doctor should do a "tilt table test" on you, it is the only proven test to prove that your condition is actually POTS. See the thing about POTS is that it mimics alot of different diseases therefore making it very hard for doctors to determine what is causing these symptoms.
ask your doctor about a drug called midodrine it stimulates your nerve endings.

Also, are you feeling dizzy when you stand up to quick and does it increase with elevation?

Go see Dr. Cantor at the Duke CHC (pediatric specialty clinic) - he is the BEST.

I am 15, almost 16, and i have POTS too. Passing out is just something that comes with it, but your meds should be able to control it. Where do you live, because I have an AMAZING doctor that specializes in POTS in kids. Also, a great support network is dynakids.org

I am only 13 and i have p.o.t.s too. I first showed symptoms of pots in oct (2007), but it only became serious when i first passed out, and get thisw on my 13th birthday. (some present huh?) Anyway, i havent been to school since then and have a homebound teacher who comes to me until real school starts back up. I am in a wheelchair for it so im a little worried about teasing and stuff. i know it feels like "what did i do to deserve this?!?!" sometimes but everyone with this so called rare disease will make it through. If u want to hear a little funny story though, i was in unc for 2 days before they realized they didn't have a tilt table test available except for at mayo clinic.

Im 21, Ive had POTS for 5 years and am on medication named beta loc or beta blocker METOPROLOL 50mg four times a day and feel fantastic. Keeps my heart from racing and without it my life wouldn't be the same.

Hi everyone, it breaks m heart to haer how you ahve been suffering with POTs and what it is doing to your life.  I am an old 45 year old......  I was diagnosed with post about four years ago for probably 4 years before diagnosis I suffered in silence really, going to the GP who didnt do a lot but once was referred to a neurologist whom did head scans and linked my symptoms with epilepsy and said he would wait for the results and likely stop me driving! - I never went back - I could not walk far as I already had a bad back and I had a business, he may as well have put me down as I would have had no life.  For you younger girls I recall I used to pass out a lot at school, and with friends - I would be alwauys feeling dizzy odd spaced out.... but you get to a stage where you think everyone thinks you are attention seeking.... I never liked the heat and standing still for legnths of time, school assemblies were the best..... I would pass ou but usually a soft landing with friends around. Doctors would say it wa my age and to do with hormones/monthlys but it wasn't I knew that.  I learnt to live with it, I would say things improved from early 20s and then late 30s although I had instances it came back far worse.  By then I had forgotten how my younger yer had effected me. I want to share my story as I would hate anyone to go through the misery this causes.  scared to go out, scared to go to business meetings having to make so many changes to ones life to be able to function. I am better now I was diagnosed with a positive tilt table - ( I passed out after my heart began racing - ) it was a big relief and they tried me on a few drugs and settled with fludrocortisone, it helps and I can manage it. for years though I have suffered with high BP! if you know what you have then you can be treated it was the not knowing that damaged me and the loneliness and fear so ofen when you have blacked out in a busy shopping centre and people step over you or throw money at you..... those are the hardest moments and seeing my daughter cry as she witnessed this. Be brave all you new to POTs people, dont lock yourself away as I did,there is a lot more help around now and we can all help and support each other. check out STARS another great source of support and information.  I will be posting my full story there but really times have changed, there is a genuine interest in the condition and doctors are recognising it. 

Hi sweetie,I am so sorry for your health problem, that has come,at a time which should be happier for you. I am a Nurse-it seems your Doctor is trying to find the answers-but my immediate advise-is get two other consultations from other Cardio-Vascular Specialists-be honest and advise all of them-you need more answers and you need them sooner,rather,than later, due to your age. Let them all consult with one another,as experts so they can get to the conclusion-don't wait and drag this out-take a hands on approach-but be gentle with their ego's-sometimes-Doctor's are sensi    

tive-but bottom line-is it's your heart-your health and your future. Good luck-God Bless and take good care of yourself.