In middle and high school, my fingers would turn red and swell after I dribbled a basketball. During a fair, they did the same thing after I held a paper cup from Del's lemonade. Today they reacted the same way after I held a McDonald's M&M McFlurry cup. A small patch of skin and my fingertips--exactly the points that made contact with the cup--proceeded to tingle (almost like the feeling you get when blood rushes to a limb), turn red, and swell as it throbbed. Is this an allergic reaction? If so, to what?

Hi: It doesn't sound like an allergic reaction, BUT it sounds like you have some nerve damage going on.

Do you have any pain in your fingers knuckle?
Does it get worse with warmth or cold?
Have you injured it before - as in dislocated it etc?

It sounds to me like some sort of dislocation, and when you hold your hand in a certain way, puts pressure on the nerves and causes swelling and redness!

If you can answer these questions for me, I can help you get to the bottom of this!

I appreciate your help! But no to all the questions. The only thing cold (water) does, is make the redness more apparent. Temperature beyond that usually doesn't affect it.

The coldness of course making your skin red is normal! It DEFINITELY sounds like something like nerve damage!!! So I would like you to go to the doctors and have an Xray of your hand! There is something going on with this! ALSO just thought of something, have you hurt your neck recently or your shoulder?

I hadn't thought about what Bambi was saying but yes, that also seems quite possible. The cold could cause that, and also be sure to see a dermatologist if your normal doctor can't figure it out, okay?