I got pretty hair legs and after shaving em for for, like, ever.... I thought I would a proper professional waxing done at the beauty place. Gee, that stuff hurt. Course it was quite red and a bit kind of bumpy right after the treatment, you know? The beautician told me that's normal and it would go away on its own in a day and my waxed legs would look and feel awesome... Guess what? That didn't happen.

My skin went all bumpy and red, looks like the measles or smth and it hurts and itches at the same time.... now think I'm allergic perhaps. It's been four days now and them bumps are still there. How to make it go away and how to prevent it next time... if I'm ever brave enough to go get waxed again?

Hiya,

Doesn't it suck when you go to pamper yourself expecting to come out feeling great, only to be left with a skin rash? Leg waxing isn't for the faint of heart, that's for sure!

There's a few things you can do about the awful redness and swelling, though. If you do these things, you may even come to think of leg waxing as no big deal. OK, here goes...

• Try cold water or ice cubes right after you come home from the salon. Because pulling your hair out, which waxing does, causes a bit of an inflammatory reaction, that's why you get the swelling and redness. Cold stuff helps settle the inflammation, same as an ice pack on a black eye.
  • There's also some gels you can use that will sooth that poor skin of yours and also help with the redness as well. I think creams that got aloe in them are great for skin trouble anyway, so it should help with redness after leg waxing as well.
  • Tea tree oil is also an option. Mind you, dilute it otherwise your skin will burn like hell.
  • Try taking an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen. This will help reduce the discomfort you feel during the actual waxing and will also lessen the swelling you'll see afterwards.

Mind you, if your swelling gets really, really bad, I'm afraid you're just gonna have to go and see your GP. He'll prescribe some antibiotic ointment to help your skin not get horribly infected.

Unfortunately, it is true that you can get a severe allergic reaction to waxing, whether it's leg waxing, pubic hair waxing, armpit waxing or eyebrow waxing. Although such allergic reactions are incredibly rare, they can sometimes play out very badly, just as with people who have allergic reactions to hornet stings. People who are experiencing severe allergic reactions to body hair waxing would have these symptoms:

- Swelling of throat, which causes breathing difficulties
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Localized swelling of the site

If you're worried, see your doctor. You'd need an epipen to stop the reaction. If it gets really bad, call an ambulance.

Oh, come on now! It's true that severe allergic reaction are a thing (sometimes), the OP did say it was four whole days since she got waxed. If she was gonna have an anaphylactic shock, it would have happened already. They need to be treated within about 20 minutes. She'd have been long dead by now. I now, because I have severe peanut allergy.

What the OP probably has is a mild allergic reaction or just severe swelling that has nothing to do with an allergy. Sometimes salons use dirty wax that's got, to put it plainly, dead skin cells and other nasties from other people floating about in it. Then you can also get a bacterial infection. So some antibiotic cream from your GP will do the trick. And if your salon was dodgy, look for a proper one with a license and stuff next time.

It's finally.... finally... looking a bit better. I am supposed to have smooth legs for about three weeks right? It's not worth it if a third of that is spent recovering from the leg waxing. I am going to think twice or perhaps 200 times before having my legs waxed again.... no... i didn't have breathing trouble or anything extreme... just the swelling, red bumps and the rash.. To be fair it did look like a scary disease.

Hey, if you're scared to get waxed again, I understand: waxing just isn't for everyone. Personally, I hate having to wait for the hair to grow before getting it waxed and therefore I only have my legs and other bits waxed for special occasions where I don't want to deal with shaving, mainly summer vacations.

I did want to mention that there are things you can do to prevent side effects like the ones you were mentioning. Exfoliating the skin on your legs before you get a waxing is one thing, because doing so will remove the oil, dirt and bacteria that may have built up on your skin and that can get into the pores after waxing. You could also use an anti-razor burn cream such as Bikini Zone Bump Busters or Relax & Wax Get the Bump Outta Here.

Good luck if you do decide to get waxed again. It doesn't sound like you are allergic and I am pretty sure you wouldn't have those problems again if you followed those steps. I am not a doctor though.

Unfortunately, I have the same experience. I got myself a full leg and bikini wax for a vacation. Got dressed afterwards, not expecting anything weird to come up. Then got home, wanted a shower, and noticed that I had broken out in a bad skin rash all over the waxed areas. Waited it out a few hours and noticed blisters forming as well. The odd thing was that I had had my legs waxed like a dozen times before that already so I really wasn't expecting a rash. I haven't had a wax since that experience, but I think it's probably something that salon did wrong. It was my first time at that particular salon and I am not quite sure what happened but it may either be the wax they used or indeed some poor hygiene. It was a nasty experience that nearly ruined my vacation, but I ended up putting Neosporin on it and it did get better.

Celebrity

How can you prevent inflamed reactions to waxing?

As far as I know, there are some people who are allergic to something that is contained in a lot of wax and that is called rosin. That same thing is also in a lot of makeup and creams. Do you ever have any other reactions, like to foundation, or eyeliner, or even moisturizer? If so, check the ingredient list and see if this stuff is on there.

If you are not allergic, it's all about the salon you go to. If they work in unhygienic circumstances, a reaction will happen. Check your salon out thoroughly before you ever get waxed again, and especially make sure that they don't dip that spatula in the wax again after using it on you, because if they do, they are also doing it with other people and you are basically getting a lot of bacteria from other people on your skin, then having your hairs ripped out, and of course that leads to an infection. Check if they have some sort of professional license so you know they know what they are doing. And if the salon looks dirty or they're not wearing gloves, just don't go there any more.

One thing you could try is to Google for reviews of the salon you are considering before you take the plunge and get waxed.

Good luck!

Not allergic, but I have had redness and swelling after waxing as well as the odd ingrown hair. I make sure I wear loose fitting clothing right after the waxing. You don't want tight clothes constricting the airflow and rubbing against your sore skin. Any cream that contains polymyxin B sulfate is also really nice right after the waxing and throughout the day. Moisturize the skin with something advertized as an anti itch cream instead if it's not really bad, which helps prevent scratching that can increase swelling and redness. The next day, any signs of swelling and irritation should really be gone.

:)

I just wanted to call attention to something here... Many people who think they are experiencing an allergic reaction to waxing itself are actually reacting to something quite different. We're talking about neomycin, an ingredient that is used in almost all topical ointments used after waxing. You think it helps soothe your skin, but it could be that it's giving you a horrendous rash. So anybody who regularly experiences bad rashes and swelling after waxing and is using an ointment with this ingredient should ask for something without neomycin next time they get waxed!

Rashes after face wax and fell Karsh

How long did it take to go away?

Im having a leg wax reaction all of yesterday and today after getting it 2 days ago. Really itchy lumpy red burning legs.. after suffering for 2 days i got up in the night and went outside to get my aloe vera plant and rubbed in the juice..just for relief from the itch. and I think it is already helping. NEVER again..at least not to that salon. I wonder if I should I tell them? I've had my legs waxed before with no such reaction and even had them done once before 3 months ago in this salon...but this time it is AWFUL! I sat in the sun after, AND i had a warm shower..my daughter says I should not have done either of these things. you opinion please???