For the last couple of weeks my index finger on my right hand goes numb about three or four times a day, though it varys it's usually for about 20mins each time.The finger gets cold and goes white from the tip to the first knuckle, and sometimes down to the second knackle as the blood drains out, and as you can imagine it is quite unnerving. As this has only occured recently and i don't suffer from poor circulation, can anybody out there help.

For the last couple of weeks my index finger on my right hand goes numb about three or four times a day, though it varys it's usually for about 20mins each time.The finger gets cold and goes white from the tip to the first knuckle, and sometimes down to the second knackle as the blood drains out

I get exactly the same I mentally blame my centre scrolling mouse button - seems logical to me, mine gets worryingly white with the cold as blood seems to drain away.

Is there a doctor around who could explain what it is ?

I did not post the note, but I have the same problem from time to time, but this morning it was both finger tips ... index finger on both hands

Exact same thing. My right index finger is going numb. Tip to first joint. It feels sort of like when some part of your body "goes to sleep" after a deprivation of blood flow, but it is not really the same. For one thing, it still works. I can still move it and type (though it is odd because I cannot feel much but that numb tingling sensation). Also, it does not experience that rush of slight pain that occurs in the case of your arm falling asleep from lack of blood flow, when the blood finally does begin to flow back into it. It just fades and sensation returns.

It obvious relates to the nerve, but I thought the same nerve affects more than one finger. So should I not feel more fingers go numb simultaneously if the nerve is impinged from some kind of carpel tunnel syndrome?

Also, it does not turn blue. If anything, it looks perhaps a little white, but it's hardly noticeable. I really don't think there is a lack of blood flow.

It's weird that this is the only thread I could find through a brief internet search for similar stories. Must not be too common. 

In any case, I have Gulf War Illness, which means sort of what most people think of as an extremely severe form of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, among other ailments. While this is not one of them, my muscles do often cramp up and impinge on nerves. However, this happens mostly upon nerves in my back, neck, and shoulders -- and it results in pain as well as numbness. It's very different. I suppose its possible this is just that same issue, but in a new place. But I don't ever get the really bad knots and cramping in my wrists or forearms. I can sometimes get the knots between my thumbs and index fingers, but that knot is not adjacent to the nerve. If it is impinged, then it has to happen right up near the knuckle in order that it not also branch out to the other fingers.

If anybody reading this suffers from fibro, GWI, or myofascial pain syndrome, and you have this exact same thing, please ditto it. At least then I can mark this one down to the already known illness.

I've been having the same thing happen, only on my left hand. I understand what you are saying, it is unnerving. I keep thinking, "is it going to stop or just keep going up the hand?!" and I flail my arm around and massage my finger, trying to get the blood back. It comes back when it feels like it. Nothing I do seems to change it. I have not been able to find out what this could be, so I'm going to the doctor about it. I'll keep you posted and check for updates.

Check with an osteopath or Doc. Its caused by the #1 vertabrae in the neck having a pinched nerve.

so its caused by a pinched nerve or if i smashed or electrocuted can cause this

Look into Reynaud's syndrome. Wear layers and gloves to help protect the fingers. You may have great circulation but unfortunately your capillaries may not be working properly in your digits. Good Luck.

Both my index fingers are constantly numb, iv had it for a few weeks now, and instead of my fingers turning white mine go red an sometimes my thumb goes numb with it

Daniel, mine is EXACTLY like you described.  Wish a doctor would reply and give us some insight.

I have degenerative disc disease and a replaced disc in my neck when it broke while doing aerobics 10 years ago, and I, too, get a very numb right index finger (currently in that condition again) and sometimes the thumb with the middle finger as well.  This is very common due to nerve endings being pressed by the discs in the neck.  You might pay attention if this continues or worsens, especially if you find muscles involuntarily trembling in your upper right bicep as they would be related to the same condition.  Unfortunately, the only 'relief' for these problems are to remain mobile unless you get surgery, and surgery is not always the solution (I know several people where surgery worsened the problem).  Remaining active, possibly seeing a chiropractor for spinal extension, and even acupuncture have been shown to help.  Each case is different and it's not life-threatening, but your quality of life could be compromised if it becomes painful.  Sitting still is the worst thing you can do as the discs harden together over time and eliminate that cushion of fluid you need to keep them in motion.  FYI, I'm 58, in optimum health, very active, and this cropped up in my late 40s.  So it can happen to most anyone and speeds up if you live a sedentary lifestyle.

I'd say thanks to the post above. I'm sedentary, desk job, long commute (1 1/2 hr), sit on PC at home, early 30's.Right index finger, from just in the hand proper to the first knuckle of the index finger: numb.No color change.

Not sure if this helps, but I do constantly pop and crack both my knuckles and my neck, as well as my back. Have had bouts of bad lower back, or upper neck pain where it feels like I can't take a step, stand up or sit down. Those ended up being muscles locking up.This is different...

Did you find out about your problem?

I have been getting the same have you found out why this is

I too have had a couple of recent instancesof the sudden white middle finger with numbness/tingling for a few minutes episode.   "Look into Reynaud's syndrome" was the advice given by one person in this post and that seems to be the best answer for most of the people in this post thread:

First of all, Reynaud's syndrome is usually not serious and usually does not require any treatment.  It is somewhat random in when an attack occurs.  Can sometimes be painful, usually not very.

A Reynaud's syndrome attack is thought to be most often caused by cold or stress.  I also saw mentioned other suspected causes, e.g., from carpal tunnel syndrome from too much typing.

Usual symptoms are sudden change of color to white of first knuckle or two of a finger or two or more (or same for toes, etc), often/usually with some numbness and tingling, sometimes reaching blue finger stage, then in either case a gradual return to red color then after a few minutes or more to normal finger cover.  Nothing seems to help accelerate the recovery, but I still move my affected fingers a lot just in case :-).

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use