In the last year and a half I have had the same 'reaction' (for lack of better word) six different times.

It always starts out the same way: First day my mouth is incredibly dry and sticky, Second day my mouth feels likes it's burnt (like after eating hot soup), Third day my gums are swollen and fourth day my lips start to swell. My gums stay swollen and sore, and my lips continue to swell until they are so big they blister.

This whole process peaks in about 6 days and my mouth is typically back to normal in 10-12 days. Sometimes even my tongue feels swollen and is very sensitive.

Since my lips are so big (it looks like I have really bad lip injections) it's hard to talk, smile, eat or swallow.

I've noticed that it usually happens after my period, but not after everyone, and that it typically happens after I've celebrated with champagne or red wine, but again, not after every celebration.

I have been to doctors and they have given me steriod shots, and allergy meds but neither help. I've been tested for lupus, herpes, chrones...even AIDS and each test came back negative. I don't even know what doctor to go see anymore as I've yet to find someone to help me.

I'm a healthy 26 year old (Female), I work out 4-5 times a week, watch what I eat, don't have any allergies (well, other than mushrooms...but I don't eat mushrooms) and have no family history of 'mystery lip swellage'. Any idea of what could be causeing my lips to swell, and even more importantly how to bring down/stop the swelling?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

It sounds to me like you may be allergic to some sort of ingredient in wine, so I think that it might be a good idea for you to see an allergist. Unfortunately, an allergist is only as good as the information he's given, so please let your allergist know about your supposed wine allergy as well as anything else you may have eaten or drank as a possible cause. They can take it from there.

Please let us know how things turn out.

my guess is it wouldnt be the wine you are allergic to, but the sulfites in the wine. the reason it may not happen every time is because different types of wine have different amount of sulfites...depending on the sweetness. The good news is there is "sulfite free" wine. although it is not COMPLETELY sulfite free, it has less than 10 ppm (parts per million) where the average wine has 150ppm, going all the way up to 350 ppm. Hope this is helpful!

I have a similar problem. It just happened for the first time on a flight about two months ago and it is happening again right now. My lips get very itchy the first day and you can see that they look chapped or burnt or something. Then the next day the bottom lip becomes very swollen. The third or fourth day, the swelling turns into a big blister that looks like it could be popped. Then it becomes a scab almost. I am 23, healthy, work out regularly and eat well. I do not understand what is causing this problem. I have been to the gyno's office recently and was told that everything was normal. Do those checks include Herpes? Could this be herpes?

I'm sorry but u guys have cold sores. It's not genital, it's facial/oral herpes HSF 1. Some people will swear that nuts, chocolate or red wine is trigger for them. Damage from sunburn and windburn in the form of dry, chapped lips is also a trigger so use lip protection to avoid your lips getting dry and cracked. With women, low immune systems, and or times around ur period where u may either have changes in horomonal balance are also triggers with HSF 1. Dry lips, sore gums, a blister that has to scab and fall is HSF 1. It's nothing to worry about, they are just embarassing to get and go out in public with. It's common. For me i didint get them on my Lip, about once a year I get it one on my chin. This year i embraced my first one on my lower lip. Generally u will always break out in the same place, and i'm unsure why I just now got my first one on my lip. Use abreva or rubbing alcohol to dry out the blister. The more heat or moisture the blister receives the less faster it will heal. I noticed it's hard to heal on the lip, because as humans we are either drinking or eating all the time, so it's hard to go around it. Hope this helps.

Stress on yours ystem is what cases the cold sores typically. It can be caused by a number of things but you should be fine. You can also take Adavair. It really helps a lot!

I have the same thing. The second person sounds like it's a cold sore (the tingling, and scabbing, etc...). I, however, have been to the doctor and pharmacist and all they can say is that it's not a cold sore. Yesterday morning I woke up with clear painless blisters. This morning the blister's have turned into one giant almost yellow blister and my lip has swelled up on one side. The blisters themselves look like they are going away though?? I'm hoping they are gone soon! I've been taking Benedryl and applying chapstick like a madwoman! It seems to be helping. Wish I knew what caused them in the first place though.

Please help...my 17 year old daughter has the same symptoms. Starts off with swelling of lips then cuts in the mouth followed by blisters on the lips. This is the 2nd time it's happened in 5 months. She has been tested for herpes and has had allergy tests. No diagnosis has been made. She finds it hard to talk, cannot eat and has difficulty swallowing.....

Herpes simplex virus (HSV) when manifested in the oro-facial region, is deemed type 1 (HSV-1). The virus resides in a nerve, usually a ganglion (an intersection of nerve branches), and with typical "cold sores" the nerve is typically V3, the mandibular division of the trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve 3 [CNIII]). Symptoms Vary from individual to individual, one person's account does not exclude or imply inclusion to your specific case.
Symptoms range from tingling, to swelling, to blisters, to pain and possible fever and general flu like symptoms. Some have none of these symptoms and can progress to blistering/dermal shedding without symptoms.
Almost all cases of HSV do share a common characteristic however, and that is the location of the nerve affected. When doctors look to determine the presence of HSV visually they look for a unilateral (one sided/half of face) presentation. Meaning only the lower left, or upper right, etc is affected during the outbreak. This is because the resident virus lives, usually, in that one nerve branch.
However, it can be bilateral in rare occasions making diagnosis difficult in such instances.
Look for unilateral expressions that literally stop/start at the midline of the face, lower or upper lip, possibly facial skin, eye, nose, etc.
Blisters in the ears/eyes should be reported to your doctor asap, do not wait for resolution.
hope this helps,

sorry, CNV, five...duh....not enough coffee... ;-)

I have to share this. Having the SAME condition as many have described here, I really struggled (at age 48) believing I had herpes for the 1st time. Since the swelling didn't go down in a few years, and this was the 2nd occurrance in several months (the first time took 10 days to resolve), I headed for the doctor. She was great. Diagnosed in a matter of 2 minutes. She could tell by looking it wasn't herpes - because the blisters were across the entire upper lip and into the corners. She asked me if I was allergic to poison ivy (which I am EXTREMELY allergic), and then asked me if I had eaten a mango recently - which I had on Sunday. She asked if I ate the mango with the skin on, or did I take the meat out and it it that way - and I told her the skin on. She told me that was the problem. Mango skin has the same oil on it that poison ivy does.

So for those of you who still are undiagnosed - check into that possibility. I told her that I had seen here posted that if it had been a "food allergy" the swelling would've gone down after a few hours - but she said that was only for internal allergies - not for contact - that what is there is contact dermatitis from being exposed to the poison ivy oil. Whew!

Hi i drank some cheap $8 Red Wine Cabernet from woolworths the other day for 2 days straight and it made my lips dry burn and rip, a bit like gorn off jalapinos from subway where the water turns to acid or something.

Anyone know the cause? Sulfites dont burn like acid right? Cause i want to drink red wine.

WoW, I drank some cheap spumonte wine and champange and my upper right lip got swollen and turned into a blister...so there must be a connection!

Lisa

I have had this same thing 3 times now and I was diagnosted with Periorbital cellulitis which is basically a Staphylococcal infection. Lovely huh? I have just begun to eat really clean so I am hoping that helps in the future. I just read this and found it very interesting since I've been having tummy troubles:

Swelling Of the Upper Lips -
A swollen upper lip is a sign of possible stomach disorders, which can include heartburn, over-acidity, and ulcers resulting from tile repeated consumption of sugar, caffeine, spices, alcohol, soft drinks, refined flour, potatoes and other nightshades, and other yin extremes. When the stomach becomes loose and swollen, the muscular valve, the cardiac sphincter at the opening of the stomach relaxes or operates ineffectively. Normally, the sphincter is closed when food is in the stomach. The contents of the stomach, including stomach acid, are regurgitated into the esophagus, causing a burning sensation in the chest as also the neck after a meal. This symptom, commonly known as heartburn, affects millions of people everyday.

I have a swollen mouth and blistered lips. I am now on Nistatin, but my mouth is still swollen and my lips are very blistered and swollen. PLEASE HELP ME