Over a week ago I had an external hem swell up REALLY bad (think of a ping pong ball) I went to my surgeon and he put me on 2.5 hydro cream and lidocain for pain and said the swelling would go down in a week but that if it didnt he would take it off.....well its been a week and i called and made my appointment to see him tomorrow. I dont know if he is going to band it or cut it....which is easier to heal from? I dont have to do anything for prep because its external but does anyone have any suggestions? I have been off work a week already and am scared to death of missing more work and i have vacation in 12 days....will i be ok???

will you be ok after a week ?? That's too hard to say to many variables. Some things you can do to ease the pain is when you get home put some ice on it 15mins 15mins off for 1 hour three times a day this will help with swelling. Hot baths after you go to the toilet. never use toilet paper just go straight to the shower and wash yourself this is even better than using wet wipes. Start using a fibre supplement like physillium husk every day or something like it.

Anyone else have any more suggestions?

Banding is easy to recover from. Surgery is NOT! Took me around 3 weeks to be able to move without discomfort.

Make sure you discuss all the options with the surgeon, he'll explain to you what can be done. But don't signup for the surgery unless you can miss at the VERY least 2 weeks of work.

I had THD April 9 and one big skin tag (I think it was a deflated hem) banded yesterday (June 7) at the Dr. office. I expected to be in some type of pain or at the least discomfort. Thirty hours later, I am not in pain or discomfort. When I came home yesterday, I felt good enough to help my husband wash our Jeep.

I had 2 BM's today (soft) with no difficulty or pain. I did want people to know here that the RBL I had at the Dr. office was not painful or even uncomfortable. Good luck with the decision you make.