I may have a sprained trapezium, according to a Google search. So today during 2nd period PE, we were playing soccer. I'm not too coordinated so I was playing and I slipped on the mud and fell on my back, shoulder first. I brushed it off and said it will get better but over the day it hurt so much that by fourth period I left school to go to home. I've been taking naps, and my mother has been giving me massages on that area. But now the only problem is, is that my head is leaning towards my hurting side (right). When I try to correct it, my top back hurts. I can move my arm but not my head. Will I be able to go to school tomorrow? What should I do? Is there a quick way to ease the pain? Thank you! (Also I don't have health insurance nor any inflammation on the area, should I still take ibuprofen?) 

Hello Alias,

The trapezius muscle can be easily bruised just by sleeping in a curled position and falling on your back will definitely do it.  .  Messages are good but in themselves may not be anywhere sufficient.  You may have strained your neck muscles as well.  The best thing to do when an injury first happesn is to use a cold compress and then a hot (warm) compress.  A lot of people skip the cold compress because it tends to make the area stiff and uncomfortable but that's what it's suppose to do.  I inhibits inflammation and tissue damage.  Try a cold compress, do not put ice directly on you back or neck, place a towel between you and the cold compress.  Do this for 15 minutes and wait another 15 minutes and put on a warm compress.  If you have a tub you can easily get into, soak in warm water and Epsom salts or oatmeal.  If you don't have either then just use the warm water.  This will help relax you sore muscles and healing will begin.  Your head has multiple ways it can move and often not being able to turn your head has to do with the neck muscles.  You should be okay and I'm sure you can go to school in the morning if you do your compresses and or tub soak.  If necessary use a shower and let the warm water run down your neck/head and shoulder and wings.  When you go to sleep tonight, sleep on your back and keep your head face forward.  If you can sleep without a pillow that is best.  If you have a contour pillow that is great because that will support your head and neck. 

Okay, thank you! I've started a cold compress, and what I've done is kept it bare and touching my skin for the past 20 minutes or so, is that bad? I've felt my muscles loosening up already, and my head can turn a bit more. Also, what could I use instead of a hot compress? I don't believe I have anything like that.. When I go to sleep should i add extra pillows? I've read that your neck should be above your heart when sleeping so I'm not sure. When I took a nap today I slept on my left side and I think that's added to the additional pain.