How do you get rid of a boil at home, and while I am already here, how do you make sure you have a boil as opposed to really bad acne, a cyst, an abscess, or anything like that?

I have a pustule looking inflammation on the back of my neck that is surrounded with red and slight warmer skin, and I think it is a boil right now. I basically want to know how to treat this at home. Are there herbs or ointments I can put on there, or should I pop it? Some guidance would be appreciated before I do anything that will only make it worse. 

Why don't you try putting a compress, a hot compress, with tea tree oil on your boil? This should soothe the skin around the boil and the boil itself, and help it come to a head. Once you do see the pustule, as you say, you can do the hot compress first and then give it a gentle squeeze to see if it starts giving way. Don't mess with a boil too much if it doesn't easily come to a head though. Give it more time if needed. Once it pops, you can rinse it out with a saline solution after you squeeze all the pus out (gently!) and then disinfect it. Make sure it has access to air to heal. Don't bandage it all the time.

Celebrity

Hey guest,

I have been struggling with boils (yes, multiple) on my butt for some time now as well, and have been taking a more proactive approach as they keep recurring. Right now, for my general health, I am placing a renewed focus on a healthy diet and exercise, hoping this will improve the boils as well. For my boils, I am trying to sit less, because I think the pressure makes it worse, but that obviously doesn't apply to a boil on the back of your neck. 

I am also drinking nettle tea daily at a friend's recommendation, as this is chock full of vitamins and minerals. I put trea tree oil mixed with coconut oil on my skin, and I've used hot towelettes to soften the boils up. 

I am hoping this will help with time. 

Rosie

I'm sure keeping your boil hydrated is a good thing. The most commonly recommended treatment is to apply hot compresses for about 20 minutes, then rub with rubbing alcohol. It seems like a good idea to expose the area to air as much as possible as well, I think. Once it really comes to a head, and pus starts coming out easily, keep on squeezing the boil gently until everything's out. Apply rubbing alcohol and a plaster if needed. Keep an eye on your popped boil and see your GP if the area looks very infected or it's causing you loads of pain. 

The most important thing that you should know is that you should never pop a boil while it is still in its smaller, firmer stage. Boils are a bit like normal pimples in that way. If you aggravate it before it is ready to pop by itself, you will not succeed in popping the boil and will instead only irritate the skin. 

I am not sure if putting a bandaid over your boil is a good idea if you would otherwise be tempted to "mess with it", but that is probably something I would do. I tend to touch scabs and irritated skin in my sleep, or scratch itchy skin, and that can be really bad. 

You don't "get rid of a boil at home". You leave that up to your body, which will do that by itself. The boil will gradually move through all its various stages, from a slightly inflamed skin to a growing lump with a yellow head, to the stage where the boil bursts. After that, the skin will start healing on its own even if you don't do anything particular to it.

Depending on where on the body your boil is, you will want to use scar cream after the boil bursts, but please do not squeeze it until it is opening on its own because that will only increase the scarring you get.