The ear pressure I've had the last four years seems to be the outer area of the ear, the cartilage area aching from the pressure of the weight on my head bearing down on the ear when sleeping and to relieve it, I keep having to turn over to the other side as I cannot sleep on my back My ear will also ache from the pressure of having a phone receiver pressed up against it for too long. I also have it from both ears. I read in one of the articles in 2008 that from someone who had exactly the same symptoms as myself that she found a small foam donut pillow that she either put in the pillow case of my pillow, on top of pillow and put ear in the hole. Bottom line is the ear is in the hole of the donut pillow so there's no pressure on it. But she didn't say where to purchase this particular pillow. I have spoken to my Doctor several times as I see other people have done, but nobody seems to know anything about this problem. Can you help please, or tell me where I can research this particular pillow. Regards, Barbara

I TOO HAVE THIS PROBLEM, FOUND A PILLOW AT BED BATH AND BEYOND, CALLED ASIDE SLEEPER, HAS A HOLE ON BOTH SIDES OF PILLOW FOR EAR, WORKS GREAT.

i have the same issue. I actually thought it was a skin cancer as the skin would get like a rough pimple like and I would pick at it. it is very sore. I went to see a plastic surgen recently and there is a name for it but I cant remember the name. it was a long name but basically it is a bed sore that is due to laying on the side as I lay on my one side al most all the time. he said he would take care of it, but that I needed to get a donut pillow and use it as it will come back if I dont. I am searching for a donut pillow now. it is very sore and keeps me awake at night.

oh great! i will look for that for sure.. thanks for posting

hi there, i think i have the cause and solution to your problem. I have also suffered from severe ear pain at night when applying pressure or sleeping on my side and it has also caused me to wake up. It definitely involved the outer ear cartlidge and when inspecting it; i found 2 small black heads inside the folds of the cartlidge. I used a warm face cloth to wipe the cartlidge folds clean and it eventually softened the blackheads (which were considerable large and caused the gathering of fluid in that area.) The black heads were then squeezed and I no longer had ear pain when sleeping on my side. However not all pimples are visible and some are "blind pimples" so you may not be able to see or locate them at all. The best method is to slowly apply pressure to the different areas of the cartlidge until you can pin point the pain. Then everyday apply some pressure until a small pimple head forms and it can be popped. Gross i know, but it's really common problem. hope this helps

i have been told it is form of gout

So relieved to have found this information after being so far unsuccessful looking at medical conditions etc. I have had this ear pain for 20 years on and off but it has been every night now for the past year or so. It wakes me up in the night several times, the pain is unreal but I'm so afraid to turn as lifting my head off the pillow causes the pain to be much worse for a few minutes. Its usually the right side although I did have it in both sides in my late 20's. I thought it was just me. Apart from relieving the pressure by not having the ear pressed into a pillow, does anyone know of anything else to try? Please help if you can Thankyou

I"ve been experiencing this for years with increased nights, with both ears. I always assumed it had to do with the cartilage under pressure but the pain shuts into the inner ear and peeks when I turn over on the pillow for serveral minutes until it subsides.
I went to an osthepath fo a year for a chronic work related issue and while doing a treatment, he asked if I experience earpain while sleeping.....I was blown away. He mentioned it was related to neck tension in particular to the large muscle from behind the ear and along the jaw. I do have mild TMJ, untreated, so may contribute, but mostly lost of neck tension due to work style.
Maybe visiting a qualitfied Ostheopath may shed some light as they understand all the connections between, bone, muscle, connective tissue like I have never experienced before.
Good luck.
L

I've had the same issue you've mentioned- ear pain in my left ear when sleeping on my left side.  It feels like it is coming from inside my ear (inner ear) and the pain wakes me up.  Once I move, the pain is worse for a bit and then subsides after 10 minutes or so.  This has been a problem for several years.  Because of something I read on here, about five night ago before bed, I used a plug-in massager on my head, neck, and face.  In particular, I focused on the area around my left ear: In front, above, below and behind it.  I had no idea the muscles in scalp and face around my ear were so tight!  The whole thing is a bit painful because of the muscle tightness and the massager is strong.  I would not use anything that vibrates; this is a rolling neck messager that cost maybe $25-$30.   However, for the first time in years, I had no ear pain.   Last night, I went to bed without doing it and halfway through the night, the pain was back.  I have TMJ and I am sure it is somehow related.  Thank you for your posts and I hope this might help someone.

I have been awoken by this ear pain for five years.  I had thought it was from pressure on the ear while lying on my side.  i also thought it might be from sleeping deeply on Valium or ambien. After a while I realized it would happen in the cartilage of the ear that was facing up too. I was quite concerned .  I knew Ono one who complained of this absolute burning sensation. When I found people blogging about it I felt much better.  I still would not call it common.  I read something very helpful. Massage vigorously when I feel the pain hurts briefly but I resolves it much quicker so the pain is actually much less.  Incidentally I have a nighquarts form my teeth and it makes no difference.  As for the cause , I have three degenerates disks in my cervical spine.  I feel pretty certain that is the source of the pain because I can pretty well trigger burning on the tops of my ears based upon my extension of my neck.  My doctors just say stuff like lots of things can happen. 

Well its so good to hear (excuse the pun) of others suffering from ear pain. I have had it on and off for some years now and also thought it was pressure from sleeping. It hasn't presented itself for sometime until this morning when I woke up with it. Boy is it painful and very hard to pin point. I can't work out if its inside or outside the ear and when I press the cartilege its seems to disappear and move to another area so very mysterious. I would love to have a proper diagnosis but its so hard to describe and by the time I visit my GP next, I know it won't be there. This is so frustrating.  I hope someone can help.

I am 7 months pregnant and prior to pregnancy had always been a stomach sleeper. I have had to train my body to sleep on my side and I too was experiencing EXCRUCIATING pain in my ear from lying on it through the night. On a whim, I tried this pillow from Bed, Bath & Beyond and it literally worked like magic - no more ear pain!

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

This is the Sobakawa Cloud Pillow and for $20, you're not breaking the bank. I have had the pillow for a week now and I am 100% happy and certain that this solved the problem. I don't believe that this has anything to do with my actual pregnancy, just the need to become a side sleeper, so I hope that this is helpful to all of you out there experiencing similar pain.

Stop having caffein !!!!!!!! I feel perfect now.

Not very helpful. Why don't you give some history and why you feel perfect now?

I don't drink caffine...still hurts