Hi

I need help!  In the UK, all the docs seem to want to do is prescribe Methadone or Suboxone - I've been on both (currently on Subbies).   

I want to go back to work (I used to have a high powered Investment Banking role but left in 2008 when the crash happened)  but I'm so scared about going back - how do I explain my time out? Do I be honest and say 'I got addicted to prescription painkillers, mainly Oxy, DHC and Fentanyl" or do I feed them a whole loada BS about going travelling etc.....  

Hey NCRG1

It's a tough decision as in telling them you risk not getting the job and being frowned upon, but on the other hand if you don't tell them, and they find out they can sack you right away.  You need to find an understanding employer you can be honest with (easier said than done)  But you mention you are still on sub's. so if you decide to reduce or detox fully, you may need time off work.  Yeah your aloud sick days. but as you know things can drag on when detoxing, so if your honest and the time does come you need some sick days at least you can be honest why and if you've found an understanding employer they may be prepared to give extended leave whilst you sort it all out.  It's also best to be fully honest with your employer as if anything were to happen to you at work, even some bizarre accident like say the celling falls in on you (I'm sorry it's all I could think of) Your boss calls an ambulance when they turn up they will be asking your name, does your boss know of any medical issues you have etc, if he can provide the with information about you being on subutex it will avoid confusion and possible interactions if any medication needs to be given... obviously you cant tell them as your unconscious having been hit with a ceiling XD I realize this scenario is so so unlikely but you get what I'm trying to say.  Also depending on picking up your medication, where I am they are super strict it has to be taken daily supervised, so this if it's the same where you are could lead to you  being late for work, regularly even appointments you need to keep for the medication is all possibly going to cut into your working hours, if your boss is aware there is an issue at least you wont get fired for having too much time off.

I know all too well many people will say when you mention this, oh no not a problem thank you for telling me, we'll let you know about the job...Sorry you didn't get the job.  In honestly would you really want to work for some judgmental m***n like that, who cant see past the label you have for the work your capable of doing.  Another reason I would urge honestly.  You wont have to keep looking over your shoulder, the constant worry what if someone you know pops in, or knows the boss and spills the beans about your history.  I would say for many reasons just get it out in the open.

I hope this has helped<3

Thank you for your advice..... I'm even questioning if I'm ready to go back anyway! I'd probably end up re-lapasing..... so I guess I've answered my own question!

I have to pick up EVERY GOD DAMN DAY! And be supervised (they even ask me to lift my tongue to make sure I've actually taken them)

Some days I think to myself, "OK, just go cold turkey, get loadsa Xanax to help with the withdrawals from the Sub's and I'll be fine in a week or two..." I also attend therapy (CBT) which is free in the UK (thank god - fcuk knows what I'd do without the NHS)

Thank you for your advice - deffo sensible advice! x

I was in a similar situation several years back and told my boss that after the two surgeries I had on my groin and still no relief, (in fact it was worse than original pain) the surgeon said he was stumped and passed me off to a Pain Management Clinic, where they put me on more powerful narcotic meds which I became addicted to. After several months of taking more Norco (stronger too) and Morphine Sulphate capsules I was a full-on addict having to buy from "less-than-legal" means to feel just normal each day. I finally decided I needed help after trying to stop on my own and called my boss and told him that my Dr. started me on these addictive meds, then sent me to a PMC where they increased the meds and I now needed medical help to get off of them. I never went into great detail and they stood by me as I went to treatment. Other co-workers were told I had sought medical treatment to safely get off a medication I had taken for a long time. That was it. If they pressed I simply said it was a private medical matter I'd rather not discuss. I not attend AA meetings and if asked I tell them I was uncomfortable with my level of (alcohol) or (prescribed meds) use and sought a support group who had been through similar experiences to ensure I was serious about my long-term health by taking this medicine (or drnking) and have benefited from my friends there. No need to go into detail just be vague as possible. Worked for me. Hope I help in some way. Btm line, its a private medical issue!

I was in a similar situation several years back and told my boss that after the two surgeries I had on my groin and still no relief, (in fact it was worse than original pain) the surgeon said he was stumped and passed me off to a Pain Management Clinic, where they put me on more powerful narcotic meds which I became addicted to. After several months of taking more Norco (stronger too) and Morphine Sulphate capsules I was a full-on addict having to buy from "less-than-legal" means to feel just normal each day. I finally decided I needed help after trying to stop on my own and called my boss and told him that my Dr. started me on these addictive meds, then sent me to a PMC where they increased the meds and I now needed medical help to get off of them. I never went into great detail and they stood by me as I went to treatment. Other co-workers were told I had sought medical treatment to safely get off a medication I had taken for a long time. That was it. If they pressed I simply said it was a private medical matter I'd rather not discuss.

I not attend AA meetings and if asked I tell them I was uncomfortable with my level of (alcohol) or (prescribed meds) use and sought a support group who had been through similar experiences to ensure I was serious about my long-term health by taking this medicine (or drnking) and have benefited from my friends there. No need to go into detail just be vague as possible. Worked for me. Hope I help in some way. Btm line, its a private medical issue!