I suffer from PN...host of other back issues. Have seen the same Neurologist for 7 years now. I take fairly high doses of Methadone, Vicoden and also Lyrica. After being on meds for 6 years she drug tested me last year. Fine, no problems.

About a month ago it was time to pick up my prescriptions. My wife can pick them up. She called and was told they were ready. When she got there they wouldn't give them to her, said I needed lab work. My previous visit she had ordered a ton of more testing of which I couldn't afford to have all done, so I thought it was that. I was out of town at a funeral 5 hours away. Course I called and just got the desk and told couldn't get my prescriptions unless I came in and got lab work. Still thinking I missed some test, I apoligized, said I was out of town. It was the holiday weekend and I was out of meds that Friday. Also mad they told my wife to come get them, 2 hour drive for nothing.

Finally got someone that said she was out of town and the Doctor filling in ordered drug testing as I haven't had it in 6 months and was required. What's silly, I told them I had been getting meds for 7 years and only been tested once. I explained I couldn't come and even if I left they would be closed before I got there and how could they pull this c**p on a Friday. Also, why didn't she test me when I was just recently there. I was forced with no meds Friday to Tuesday. By Sunday I thought I was going mad. I could barely walk, throwing up, shaking fits, thought I was having a heart attack. My pain levels got so bad I couldn't sleep if I wanted.

I have severe autonomic symptoms to start with. By Tuesday morning I thought I was insane. Not even caring I took one old valium in a old prescibed bottle Sunday night to try and sleep. Course they gave my meds after the test without results. Saw her nurse and she explained my Neuro doesn't drug test like the one on call.

Course now it was time to get my meds again. I called in....put on hold, finally someone said "until your honest with your meds she will not write anymore." Course I knew then and told her I took a valium. Also, just like last test, I filled out no forms, nor was asked what meds I was on which was standard where I use to work. Old, it was still prescribed even with the same meds, GP had me on them for 3 years and I just stopped seeing him. I told her I have a cabinet that would fill a pharmacy, but I have never abused my meds. I seldom take the max dose prescribed. Was forced to take another drug test....but this time again no meds until she gets the results. I even took them the prescription and if she looked in her records she could have seen that I told her when I was on it. She even offered to put me on it a year ago. So again today no meds. Told to call Friday about picking up my refills...so two more days.

That ought to be criminal. Seems to me the possible side effects could harm you.

I definitely feel your pain but unfortunately it sounds like a lot of the frustration that you've suffered they really can't just vouch for your word, especially with the substances that you're taking. I would consider talking to your doctor about being more vigilant about that sort of thing in the future--it sounds like you had a terrible weekend. Le tme know how you're doing now, okay?

She gave me meds without a problem....just showed her the prescription with the valium that I had. Course she kept them. The fact the bottle was two years old and almost full I think convinced her I wasn't abusing them. Also had 3 refills on it.

I told her I would have mentioned if if I had been asked or a form. As an employer when people are drug tested they fill out a form stating all the meds they take, ect. I just walked into the place next door, signed my name, given a cup and told to pee in it...no papers, nothing,...pretty sloppy way to do things. With my old employer and now that I do it to my employees there is paperwork involved, release forms, ect....Might stop a lot of confusion and not screw people up.