I would like to know a thing or two about epogen. My friend has just been in hospital where they determined that he has an anemia. He always had some medical problems, and it seemed to us that it was only the matter of time when he would get something serious. And it happened. He said that the doctors would try epogen therapy. It looks as if even he did not know much about that medicament.

Epogen is a protein substance. It helps our body in creation of body cells. Thus, it is used in therapies for anemia, since it is a disease whose main characteristic is a lack of red cells (erythrocytes) in blood. It is applied with injections and the dosage must be determined carefully, for it is not a light medicament.

I have been on epogen for about 6 years for kidney failure. Epogen is wonderful replacement for people who suffer with anemia. I also think it is widely used by people going thru chemo therapy. The only caution I know about epogen is that it is shouldn't be given to anyone whose hemoglobin is over 12 because it is very dangerous.

I was on Epogen for 6 years while I was on dialysis.

Basically, it is a synthetic hormone. Normally your kidneys make Epotein Alpha which tells your bones to make red blood cells. If the flow of that hormone is disrupted you have anemia. This medication is truly a godsend which literally saves tens of thousands of people. If it didn't exist, I would be dead.

I can't think of any side effects of this medication. Chemo patients usually get the same drug, but under the brand Procrit. I have no idea why Epogen is usually given to kidney patients and Procrit to cancer patients as they are basically the same.

Epogen is also used by athletes who want more performance. It's called doping I believe.