I have a cousin who is diagnosed with cancer, but I cannot say exactly which type. Anyway, I know patients with the same diagnosis he has usually undergo chemo. I would like to hear more about Methotrexate, since that is his doctor’s choice. I wish to hear if this kind of a drug is usually prescribed for cancer. Is it possible Methotrexate will help him fight with this scary disease?

I believe his disease is scary, but is the Methotrexate too. This drug is used only in life threatening neo-plastic diseases, if nothing else was responsive adequately. During treatment with this medicine, patients should have been monitored of some other problems. For example, there is possible that complication with bone marrow, liver, lung and kidney toxicities happen. Those are not simple side effects, and doctor need to pay attention more then any other medicine. Moreover, patient should be informed by doctor of the risk involved while taking Methotrexate. That is why this drug should be used only by physicians, whose knowledge and experience include using anti-metabolite therapy. I have to tell you one more fact about this medicine, that diarrhea requires interruption of therapy, which you might tell your cousin. Otherwise, hemorrhagic enteritis and death from intestinal perforation might occur, which is definitely unwanted reaction.