I am afraid that I am allergic to ascorbic acid. I’ve noticed uncomfortable reactions caused by vitamin supplements I had used. As I usually have flu in spring, I decided to make my immunity stronger with ascorbic acid tablets. I‘ve never heard that ascorbic acid allergy exist, so I am interested if anyone have similar experience.

Allergy to ascorbic acid exist, but extremely rare. Maybe you are one of these exceptions, but you should not make a final conclusion that easily. If you had diarrhea, it may was caused by high dosage. Ascorbic acid is not really a drug, but large dose can cause you side effects. Read precept again and be sure that you didn’t overdose your daily intake. Or try to prevent flu with fresh fruit.

Until recently, I thought I was the only one allergic to this. As it is extremely rare, it took me over 10 years of cutting things out of my diet before I figured out what the culprit was. The reaction I get is canker sores, with an onset within hours of ingestion of even small amounts of ascorbic acid. Oddly enough, sodium ascorbate causes me no problem.

My personal problem is that a great many food flavorings contain ascorbic acid, and now even some pills are packed with it.

I intend to write more about this on my own web page, so if you search enough to find it, please stop by.

I wonder if I don't have a similar allergy. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but my symptoms are not severe UNLESS I drink the wrong brand of apple juice (or sometimes soda pop) -- then the onset is distinct, within the day, and harsh. It seems to be worse if I've had milk in my diet -- but that is not conclusive.

The last time I had this happen, I looked on the apple juice container, and water, condensed apple juice, and absorbic acid were the three ingredients. I wish I had access to the old brand I used that did NOT give me the reaction (Food Lion, if there's anyone in the Southern United States) to see if it has absorbic acid in it. If it doesn't, that'd be interesting.

Hi i have a 10 yr old son who from our own investigation is allergic to ascorbic acid. my husband and I thought it was just E160e (beta-caratone) as it was in the dilute juice that he had been drinking but today he had no juice just his breakfast cereal which the only common ingredient was the ascorbic acid. I'm shocked cause he has had this cereal before and juice my Gp said that an allergic reaction can build up and then suddenly show itself. I didn't realise just how uncommon an allergic reaction to this was but then again our son doesn't do things by halves if he's going to have a problem he has the most uncommon one.

Hi there is also a possibility you are allergic to the high fructose corn they use to make the ascorbic acid. Dont quote me on this as I can not remember the source where I found this information so I suggest looking for more about this.

Dave