Hi, folks. My brother was diagnosed a skin infection. His doctor prescribed him Neosporin. After two applications, it seems my brother got an allergy. He had swollen face as well. I wonder whether it is possible that one can be allergic to Neosporin. What do you know about this? I would appreciate all your replies.

Hi, there, Neosporin is a combination of three antibiotics. Those are: bacitracin, neomycin and polymyxin B. It is often used to prevent infection from minor cuts or burns. It is possible your brother has an allergy to Neosporin. Like to any other drug, one can be allergic to Neosporin. If this is the case, your brother should report to his doctor and tell him this immediately. I hope everything will be all right. Please, let me know the outcome. Good luck!

Hello There,

Yes, one can be allergic to Neosporin; once it gave me an infection where I had pins holding my bones together after a broken arm. Another time, I broke out into hives after trying to use it on a minor scrape. Some people just can't tolerate the active ingredient in Neosporin.

I am allergic to Neosporin, it makes my wounds worse with blisters and it gets extremely itchy.

I hope people believe me when I say that I'm allergic to Neosporin.  Why the heck is it so hard to believe??

I HATE Neosporin!!!!!!!

I'm allergic to neosporin as well, I don't remember any of this since I was only 2, but aparently I broke out and it left a scar.  Now, my mom always told me growing up it was the neo I was allergic to and say I should be able to use polysporin,  but I never wanted to try it and risk another scar.

Even my husband had a small cut while playing a volleyball, he put the neosporin powder , his scalp and body started itching and eyes turned red.
But he immediately swallowed Alerzine tablet, and took a rest for a day. He was good  next day.

After a month or so, again he was severely injured and it was bleeding, again we bought a neosporin cream, we bought it thinking last time reaction was due neosporin powder date expired.
This time it was very very bad, his eyes and body started turning red in 30 seconds and he started scratching is scalp, I gave him the alerzine tablet, he started sweting badly, he wanted to use the rest room, he was not able to walk at all, with my support he walked 4-5 steps, and he fell down, I immediately wiped off the neosporin cream from his body with the wet tissue. And after he was little okay I took him to rest room, he fell down there again and he was sweating badly, he was not recognizing me , and he was not able to see anything. I was scared to leave him alone and to make  a call. But somehow grabbed the cell quickly from the hall and  called his friend who stays near by. By the time they reached he was getting back to normal.

I hate neosporin:(

Thanks,
Tina

About a year ago I was in the doctor's office and the nurse put Neosporin on a small place on my leg.  Within ten minutes I was itching all over.  The nurse tried washing off the Neosporin but the itching continued all over my body.  Then I started to have trouble breathing.  The doctor gave me a shot.  Don't know what it was.  The ambulance arrived and we headed for the hospital.  While on the way my heart rate dropped pretty low and my blood pressure bottomed out.  They were giving me stuff in the ambulance to raise my blood pressure and heart rate.  Just a few months ago I was to have minor back surgery.  I told the doctor that I was allergic to Neosporin and some surgical scrubs.  He didn't pay much attention to me until he was about half way thru the surgery and the very same thing happened.  He had to close me up really fast and called an ambulance to take me to another hospital.  I was still asleep thru all this.  Now I am afraid of any surgery.  The doctor was nice enough to tell me the next time I was to have surgery that I could have that surgeon call him and he would tell him about me.  I believe that was twice I was close to dying.  I've always been allergic to a lot of things.  This is just one more.   Pat

I just got diagnosed with an allergy to Neosporin at 23. I have an localized rash from where I applied it. It itches unbearably. My doctor told me that Neosporin allergies actually aren't all that uncommon.

I just put some on my hand before I applied to my wound, just to check. How long before you knew?

I am also allergic to Neosporin, not really sure which ingredient it is that irritates my skin but I to get a red rash blistery things where i've applied...The doctors never thought that was weird or anything, everyone is different with different reactions. I just got Arnica cream for bruises which has the Glycerin & Polyoxyl - I'm alittle nervous to try it but i'll keep you informed if anyone else wants to try it for bruises

Thanks guys

I'm allergic to Neosporin and have had really good luck with a product called Sanovaden. It's all natural, and you can look at all of their ingredients on their website (to make sure you aren't allergic to anything in the formula). Good luck!

OMG the exact same thing happened to me, and has my whole life, I just thought I didnt treat the wounds early enough... ugh

YES!! I found out from a dermatologist that I was allergic to Neosporin after having a mole removed. There was a red circle around the area where I had put Neosporin. The doctor told me that about 10% of the population of the US is allergic to it. He suggested using Vaseline or a single antibiotic ointment such as Bacitracin.

You may only be allergic to neosporin. When I was younger I barely used it, but whenever I did I had the same problem as you. I realized I was alergic to one of its active ingredients called neomycin. Polysporine has the same active ingredients as neosporin except no neomycin! I tried polysporin and it worked for a bit, but then I began to have the same allergic reaction as I did to neosporin. Please be careful and if you have any allergy symptoms, Talk with your doctor!

I really hope people do read this. If you think it's the Neosporin, it probably is.

I am like alot of you and don't know exactly what the active ingredient is in Neosporin that is causing this but it is terrible. I had a minor burn on my hand from pulling something from the oven back in 2007. I applied Neosporin and a band-aid to help with the healing and the scaring. The area surrounding the burn became extremely infrcted, almost like exzema. It had a continous out-pour of fluid and took almost an entire year to heal. I went to the doctor and neither he nor I could figure out the cause.

Just this past week I burned myself with a curling iron and had a small minor cut on my nose. I applied Neosporin to both, and about 12 hours later, I broke out in a red rash all over my body. I got a terrible headach and my face had become so red and rashy, that my eyes were swollen almost completely shut.   

Now I know what happened back in 2007. eh

DAMN Neosporin.