Hi al. Can man be allergic to chapstick??? I use it all the time and for a couple months I get this red, itchy line on my bottom lip after I use one I tried to treat it with some creams, and whan nothing helped I switched to plain vasoline but it still won't go away. Afterwards, I went to my doctor who said it was cold sores!! I’m very sure that is not what I have, and the medicine he gave me doesn't work either. So, finally, I started thinking that I might be allergic to chapstick? Is that possible?? Have you heard for anything similar?? Should I stop using it? Could this be just a coincidence??? Please help me.

An allergy? Possibly. Which ones do you use?? I know that some blistex chapsticks are 'medicated' - perhaps you should check the active ingredients listed. Also, you can try to change brand – maybe you are allergic on that one, but not on the others… hope this helps.

Community Administrator
I also have that problem with chap sticks. I went to the doctor but all she told me was just to use vasoline. I have that problem with lip gloss too. My lips get red, swollen, itchy, bumpy and it burns when i put medicated stuff on them. It usually takes 1-2 weeks to go back to normal if i just use vasoline.

Did you find something that’s working for you and not causing any bad effects?
I stopped using it during summer as the weather was nice and I didn’t need it that much but the winter is back on and my lips do get dry and I can’t stop licking, which only makes it worse but I don’t feel like applying anything because I know how my lips will react.
Any useful information from you would be highly appreciated. Thank you

I'm having the same problem right now--at first I thought it was a food allergy, but I couldn't pin it on any specific food. Chapstick (specifically, Cherry Chapstick) seems to be the only common denominator.

I'm giving up chapstickl to see if it solves the problem. If it does, I'll post my result.

I seem to be allergic to EVERY type of chapstick. I can only use vaseline now. I would try different chapsticks after several months just to see, and I'm still allergic. It's horrible. I have these red bumpy itchy rashes on my bottom lip. Does anyone know of any medication? It's already been three days.

I've tried using Chapstick and on the FIRST application, my lips swelled and got really red as if I had food allergy or something. It took about a week to heal. I stick to petroleum jelly now. It really keeps the lips moisturized and it sort of acts like a lip gloss because it's shiny on the lips.

Try using petroleum jelly. It sure works for me because I'm allergic to chapstick too.

i have the same problem, and the only thing that was working (for about a year) was vaseline. now that has stopped working. i have no idea what to do!

I am allergic to all types of chapsticks and sunscreen lotions. It's horrible.

However, Carmex is my life saver. It works very well, and doesn't make your lips as shinny as the vaseline does.

I don't know if there is some other "chapstick" types that doesn't not cause such allergy.

I haven't had this problem with ChapStick but have had it with certain lip glosses. I'm not exactly sure what the cause is...if it's an allergy or just some ingredient that is really drying. What I do when this happens is put a thin layer of hydrocortisone on my lips and then keep them loaded up with Rosebud Salve ALL the time, never letting them be uncoated. This usually takes them back to normal in a couple days. Carmex and other medicated balms seem to exacerbate the problem for me. Rosebud is not irritating to me at all and feels nice on. You can buy it at sephora.com for around $5.

I think that I am also allergic to chapstick. I usually wear Avon lipsticks and my lips are fine. One day, I decided to put on Chapstick instead. Now I have a burning rash on my lips. I then quit the Chapstick and put vasaline on instead. It is now days later and my lips are now swollen as well as bumpy. The only difference that I can think of is that I tried putting abreva on as well. Can I be allergic to that too? Also, is there someway to quicken the healing process because I am now applying vaseline every twenty minutes or so just to keep the pain in my lips down.

I went to use peppermint chapstick....I put it on and the next thing you know it was burning really bad. I wiped it off quickly. The next day i had a red line on my bottom lip. A very red line. The next day i notice my lips where getting bumps and starting to hurt badly, then they started to swell. BIG it looked a if i had fat injections into my lips. First my bottom lip was swollen and bumpy then my upper... I felt horrible and it stung really bad...SO i used cold rags to help w/ the stinging and pain and the swelling...I went and go ABREVA ( spendy) and then some plain vasaline. I keep using that combo 2-5 x a day. It helped w/ the pain and the fever blisters/cold sores...today Im on day 4 and starting to feel a little better...still painfull though...

I went to use peppermint chapstick....I put it on and the next thing you know it was burning really bad. I wiped it off quickly. The next day i had a red line on my bottom lip. A very red line. The next day i notice my lips where getting bumps and starting to hurt badly, then they started to swell. BIG it looked a if i had fat injections into my lips. First my bottom lip was swollen and bumpy then my upper... I felt horrible and it stung really bad...SO i used cold rags to help w/ the stinging and pain and the swelling...I went and go ABREVA ( spendy $12.00-$15.00) and then some plain vasaline. I keep using that combo 2-5 x a day. It helped w/ the pain and the fever blisters/cold sores...today Im on day 4 and starting to feel a little better...still painfull though... Abreva did help w/ swelling and made the pain go away some, it has a numbing agent it in I guess.