So, I'm allergic to chicken and turkey. Haven't had duck but I'm probably allergic to that too. I haven't always been. Started when I was about 13-14. Whenever I eat chicken, usually about a 1inch cube is the size where I feel the affects, after about 5min I start to feel a stinging/tingle on my tongue and my lips feel as if they are swelling....but they're not. About 5-10 minutes after that, my saliva becomes thick and viscous and I start to get the feeling of air bubbles trying to come up my throat ( as if I needed to burp) but I am unable to. The bubbles grown in intensity until they are extremely painful. They seem to come in waves for about 15-20 minutes until I start to burp and release the air. I know this sounds weird and I've never met anyone with the same issue. Just wanting to know if there's anyone else out there with the same problem and/or if they were able to fix the allergy.......KFC has been calling my name for years!!! :)

MY SON HAS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. WHAT CAN BE DONE?

I have no clue. Like I said I've been living with this since I was about 13...I'm now 29. Seems like it weakens a bit sometimes and Im able to eat a little and then others its as strong as ever and all I can do is eat a nibble of chicken and I start to feel it. I've talked to my doctor and he hadn't heard of that allergy but the food allergy didn't supprise him. He just told me not to eat poultry......not the answer I was lookin for! Anyways, sorry I wasn't of more help....I'm lookin for answers too. If you figure something out let me know on here.

Thanks :-)

I'm pushing 40 and have had the same symptoms my entire life. Usually I would get a free pass for every new kind of bird I tried. As a little kid, I could eat chicken until one day, pow. Turkey was next, probably at the next holiday (I was probably 5). Then we tried duck. Success!! Until the next time... Then pheasant. Goose. Cornish hen. Etc.

I'm still saving ostrich for a special occasion..

BTW, you really are getting hives internally, not just gas/bubbles. I know exactly the pain/waves you're talking about, kinda like you have a cement egg in your stomach that your muscles are trying to crush. DON'T F--- AROUND WITH THIS. Sure, we've gotten away with only discomfort (albeit debilitating discomfort...) up to this point, but food allergies always maintain the right to go suddenly extreme on you and kill you. As in dead.

Seriously.

Oh, and never order the soup, eh?

Don't eat poultry. That's about it. He'll always have something fun to talk about at dinner parties, though.

I AM ALSO ALLERGIC TO POULTRY, I AM 32 YEARS OLD AND HAVE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS. USUALLY W/IN A MINUTE OF EATING POULTRY, THAE LAST TIME WAS WHEN SOMEONE ACCIDENTALLY GAVE ME FAT FREE BACON WHICH WAS SUBSTITUTED W/ TURKEY. MY MOUTH GETS VERY WATERY AND I FEEL A BURNING SENSATION FROM MY STOMACH TO MY MOUTH, I ALSO GET A FEELING LIKE I HAVE TO VOMIT. IT LASTS FOR A MINUTE OR SO , GOES AWAY AND THEN REPEATS ITSEF. I DON'T KNOW OF ANY MEDICATION TO TAKE , I JUST DON'T EAT POULTRY. I HAVE NEVER TRIED DUCK AND DON'T WANT TO TAKE THE CHANCE FINDING INFO. ON THIS IS NOT EASY.

I have been allergic to all types of bird meat:chiken, turkey duck etc. However I can eat eggs. If oil or grease from cooked poultry touches my skin I will break out in a hive at the area of contact. When consumed usually after something has been cooked on the same grill as poultry or when poultry has been mixed with other meats, I will usually have reaction in a few minutes. I similarly feel a scratchy tongue and thick saliva. Anaphylaxis then occurs 5 to 10 minutes after eating. I carry an epi pen in the car and have one at the house for emergencies. From what the doctors can tell me it is a protein in fowl that the body rejects similar to those who suffer from peanut allergies.

I, too, am allergic to poultry. I have only met one other person with the same bizzare allergy so to hear from all of you is kind of refreshing. I can never remember a time when I could eat chicken, turkey, etc., but my mom swears that when I was very young (2 or 3), I could eat it with no problem. I am now 33 and want nothing more than to eat a big bucket of fried chicken or a plate of Buffalo wings, but I have to pass. My lips, tongue and throat swell within about 1 minute. I, too, begin to spit up thick, stringy, clear mucus (sorry...I know it's disgusting), and feel as if I am choking to death. The pain is so severe in my stomach and in my upper back ( I guess from the swelling...) I also develop hives on my face and chest and my palms start to itch immensely. All of this occurs with only one decent sized bite. It is of the utmost importance that I check ALL labels on foods. Like many of you said, chicken and turkey are in many products including lunch meats, soups, pasta and rice kits, etc.. And BEWARE of restaurants that advertise "All Beef Hotdogs"....Believe me, this is not always the case, and I can call them on it immediately. I also cannot eat food that is fried in the same grease that has been used to fry poultry...Eggs, I can eat, but only if they are thouroughly cooked. If there is anything runny about the egg...same reaction. Strange.

My poultry allergy started about three (3) years ago. I am 50 and had eaten poultry my entire life. Started with hives that popped up indiscriminately on my body after eating, saw an allergist after having an outbreak on my throat & face that affected my breathing. She did testing and I was floored when she diagnosed the problem as poultry ("If it has feathers, do not eat it" she advised). My allergy is so severe that I have to keep an Epi with me at all times in case I accidently eat any. She also prescribed a daily allergy pill.

Since then I have discovered how difficult it is to avoid poultry when eating out. A lot of places use turkey based meats (salami, ham, pepperoni, sausage) as a way to make items low fat. Tell your kids to always ask if the meats are poultry based. Please insist that the workers check the wrapping on the meat package. Most food service workers honestly do not know as this allergy is not that common.

i'm also allergic to poultry. this was also since i was 13 or 14, now i'm 18. but over the years i got worse. i went from not being able to eat chicken that wasn't processed, meaning i could have a limited number of chicken nuggets, but once i turned 15, i couldn't eat any of it... not even chicken stock. my symptoms are slightly different though. after eating poultry, for about a day or two, i throw up, pass out, and my blood pressure fluctuates occasionally (which probably accounts for the passing out.)
so aside from making your own food, how can you avoid poultry? and how can you prevent an allergy from getting worse over the years? and i quite miss chicken. is there a substitute for it???

im deathly alergic to chicken, i cant have ANYTHING at all, not even chicken salt, if i do i get hives in my throat and cant breath, the reaction kicks in about 1 minute after eating it, then i have 5 minutes to react or face death.(each time i have a severe reaction the time i have to get help shortens) first sign is an itchy toung. if someone eats cheicken then kisses me on the cheek i get a perfect lips shape on my cheek, and it gets itchy and burns. iv had the alergy since i was 6, im now 16. i never ate chicken when i was little at about 2 years old id hold chicken meat and shudder then throw it acorss the room, it was like my body new i couldnt have it. when i was 6 mum paid me to eat it, i did, then ended up at the hospital. never had chicken since, not on purpose anyway.(heaps of things have chiken nyproducts!) !

I have the same problem described in the first post, I ate chicken all of the time untill I was 17 or so when I began having this problem.

After eating chicken 2-5 minutes later I would feel a gasious feeling building up in my chest. The feeling comes in waves and each wave gets worse. It lasts a few seconds each time.
If I have chapped lips I notice that my lips swell.
I try to burp, but can't force myself to do so. I often spit up sticky salava in a vague attempt to cause myself to burp or puke.

If I do manage to burp the discomfort subsides, and moments later I'm fine. However most of the time I can't burp and I'm left with this feeling that can last as long as a half hour. Sometimes it causes me to vomit, which only helps if I expell gas with the vomit.

I'm now 25 and it still occurs. I experiment every once in awhile and test to see if the reaction still exists. I have found that if I eat PopCorn Chicken from KFC I do not have the symptoms. But the moment I ingest a leg or wing I begin to feel the trapped gas in my chest.

My Only hope is that I can one day grow out of this problem, because Chicken is a major food item. I would say its 50% of most people's diet.

Another thing to note is that I recently had an allergy test done, one of the things they tested was allergies to chicken. The Test came up Negative.

I too have had this allergy for some time... ok.. for ever. i was probubly born with it but didnt find out about it till i was 4-5 years old. My Parents didnt know about the allergy just thought i was a picky eater. even at a young age i remeber eating chicken noodle soup to feel better from a cold and everytime i ate it i remember getting the "burping" sensation. I am now 30 years old and to this day i still find Chicken being substituted in a large variety of foods. For example.. Next time you go to get a frozen pizza BEWARE!!!! 80 % of the Frozen pizza mfgr's have sub'd in Chicken into their Pepperoni thus almost entirely removing Frozen pizza from our "diet" 8-| My wife has been sweet enough to help my find a meatless chicken that still tastes somewhat like chicken to help curve the craving (stupid KFC). In the organic section of the grocery store you will find a couple different options for Meatless chicken for Vegitarians. I have tried them all, some are to peppery but the Morning Star Original Breaded Patty (too my wife) tastes just like Chic Fillet.... ok... really really close. but she to enjoys them. Thought this might help some of you who cant fight the urg.

Heres how my reaction plays out. i cant eat anything along the lines of bird. I think i can eat fully cooked egg whites but am to "chicken" to try. I have been able to eat Potatoe Salad and Miricle Whip (less egg them mayo).. thats it. Anyways... the fun part. Once ingested my mouth starts to tingle before i even swallow, may even be familiarized with being described as spicy, which alerts my wife that we have to go.. now. my throat swells making it almost impossible to swallow. Saliva runs thick and have to spit it out or i cant breathe. My temp rises and i actually turn a nice light shade of red. External torso hives have been experienced in the past but no longer. intense back and chest pain are also experienced. The above explained "burping sensation" hurts. I have found that a larger then normal dose of Liquid Benidryl (sp?) Allergy does the trick but takes about 3 minutes to kick in. Then it is time for a nap.... after (this part has not been explained in any previous posts or announced probubly due to its nature but it is a side effect), as i can only describe it as my body trying desperatly to get it "out" of my system without oral vomiting. o.O i know.... gross. Once a reaction is experienced im just about worthless for a good 3-4 hours as it plays a toll on my body and i need to recover as i was just attacked from the inside out. This has gotten worse with age and i carry Liquid Benedryl Allergy (now in bubble gum flavor) in my truck everywhere i go.

Parents.. this is not to be taken lightly. My parents joked that the chicken was pecking at my throat as it was going down. Only later to find out that they were acting in ignorance. DO NOT FEED YOUR CHILDREN EGGS TILL THEY ARE AT LEAST 2-3 YEARS OF AGE. Some parents think that scambled eggs are easy for a child to eat cause they dont have to chew as much but the outcome is almost worse then you could imagine.

On a side note... I once had a reaction in highschool with pyhs ed afterwards which required a mile run... exerise with this reaction could probubly be deadly. this is the only time i experienced external hives and actually swelled from the waiste up about 2 full shirt sizes to the point that cloths had to be removed while the could. i popped som benedryl allergy pills and by the time i got to the hospital i was back to my normal self and the doctors were just scratching thiers heads. so.. no more school lunchs for me going forward.

Food for thought, Read all of the ingredience labels. When at resturants, always ask the waitress and explain your allergy, i they dont seem to set back by it, ask for the manager.. the roll of the eyes from the waitress is better then ending up in pain or worse off.. dead. To be certain, you can try to stick to a vegitarian diet and i hope you like beef, pork, and fish. i eat more red meat then anyone i know. As mentioned about, frozen pizza makers got cheap (or health consious) and sub'd in chicken into the Pepperoni... (i know your going to check) Some of them have been so kind (thanks alot) to put it on the front of the box, others not so much. Certain pasteries that have a high egg content also will cause a reaction such as Crepes, Pop-Overs and such. I too have read else where that it is a protein from the chicken that causes the allergy.

AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES.. NEVER.. EVER.. EVER GET THE FLU SHOT!!!!!! IT IS GROWN IN EGG PROTEIN!!!! YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH INJECTING EGG INTO YOUR VIENS!!!! NOW THAT MY FRIENDS.. WILL RUIN YOUR DAY.. OR WEEKEND.... HELL.. MIGHT EVEN KILL YA!

Sorry for writing soo much... just hopes this helps someone and i hope that "they" can make a pill to make it all go away. 8-| right.. i know.

what about fish? im allergic to chicken, eggs, turkey and fish. i can eat shell fish but no regular fish.

I'm 27 years old and I've been allergic to poultry since around the 6th grade. I self-diagnosed and my mom didn't believe me until I let her watch me after I ate chicken. It only took one time to make her a believer. The downside to that was that I couldn't eat chicken sandwiches at lunch to get a free pass to go home from school when I wanted. :-\ School lunches weren't very problematic once we explained to the principal my allergy. Every time they had chicken the cooks always whipped up something for me, whether it was a slice of pizza or a hamburger. I still get funny looks every time I tell people about my allergy, and it also makes dieting harder, since I'm limited to beef, pork, and seafood.

To the guest right above me, I finally found a chicken-like nugget food I could eat. The brand I usually get is Morning Star Farms Chik'n Nuggets. I ate a whole box the first time I tried them, simply because I hadn't had chicken nuggets for so long. Here's their website: http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/products.aspx?coid=23|59&family=365|635

I've been doing a lot more homemade cooking recently, Cajun in particular, and I'm going to try some alligator meat in gumbo shortly. I'll let you know how it goes.