Has it ever been reported that one can have allergy to vitamin c? I increased daily intake of vitamin c because was on diet that consists of fruits. Skin rash appeared on the 5th day of the diet. I used to eat one fresh pineapple every day because of bromeline, 3 kiwis and apples as much as I want. The day after rash occurred I ended my diet and that evening rash disappeared. I guess that there is connection between vitamin c intake and another fruit ingredient that is allergen. What do you think?

I’ve heard about possibilities of allergic reactions on vitamin c that are manifested like skin rash. Just like you said, they use to disappear on vitamin c free diet. I was on bromeline diet that was combined with carbohydrates, like cereals for breakfast and brown rice for dinner. Did you know that increased dose of ascorbic acid may cause kidney stones? That is another reason for you to switch on another combination of foods. I think that abs diet is just excellent because it is allowed to have 12 kinds of food.

I have the same experience with vitamin C. It breaks me out and gives me a rash, sometimes even hives when used topically or orally as a supplement. I have not had too much problem from a normal diet and I do eat a ton of fruits and veggies, but I guess variety is the key. I also developped allergic reactions to other supplements such as ActiVin's grapeseed and HelioCare and even multivitamins. I tried different one to make sure that it's not the inactive ingredient but have come to conclude out of frustration that it is some sort of antioxidant/pH reaction that makes me break out. I have urticuria and extremely allergic/sensitive skin but would like to have a more definitive explanation as to why I am allergic to something as inocuous as vitamin C, but who knows? My dermatologist is definitely no help!! Best of luck to all of you out there!

I have had a severe allergy to vitamin C since i was born, i dont really know anyone else who has it but i break out in severe rash and develop infections. On the plus side, my body functions just fine without it and i cant ever get scurvy so i guess i would make a great pirate :-)

However, if you eat a balance diet you should not need suplements, especially C suplements

Yours is the only info I can find with regard to an allergic reaction to Vitamin C. Never having had a reaction to Vitamin C, I recently started taking a 1000 mg supplement in an effort to stave off colds this winter. This is the only recent change I've made in my lifestyle. I have developed an unexplained infection with severe swelling in my hand that started with one finger and has spread to 2 more. There is no broken skin involved. I have had a 10-day course of Doxycycline which did not help at all. My doctor is at a loss as to next steps. Would you be good enough to tell me what kind of infection(s) you had and how you solved your problem? Many thanks for your help.

This Vitamin C allergy runs in my family. Even the Ester-C versions don't help. The only advice that I can give is to minimumize it as best you can. It shows up in shampoos, lotions, and all sorts of flavorings - not just citrus fruits and juices. Doctors don't believe there can be an allergy to Vitamin C. After thousands of dollars in testing with no conclusive results, I say ' yes there is such a thing'. Case closed.
Good luck.

Guest wrote:

I have had a severe allergy to vitamin C since i was born, i dont really know anyone else who has it but i break out in severe rash and develop infections. On the plus side, my body functions just fine without it and i cant ever get scurvy so i guess i would make a great pirate :)

Vitamin C and citric acid cause my hand to break out in a very painful rash. So painful that getting my hand wet makes me want to cry. I used to eat several oranges a day and now just holding an orange in my hand will make my entire hand break out. I have tried several different meds including Prednizone, Zyrtec and steriod creams. They do not remedy the problem, they are a temporary fix. When I go off the meds, the rash comes back. I was prescribed another type of antihystmine by my allergist. I broke out like I had the chicken pox. The main ingredient was Citric Acid. This is rather ironic. When I was 14 I had a severe case of the chicken pox and craved ANYTHING orange. Now, 20+ years later I can not eat anything with citric acid (which is almost in everything we consume). I can not use detergents other than All for Babies and Dreft. I break out if I use a soap with lather (eats the skin off of my body where it makes a bubble). I am to the point that my hand is so painful I am putting Ambesol (for teeth) on my hand just to control the pain. My hand is swollen and red and itches when I get up in the morning. I can not even make a fist because the lines in my hand are raw and bending my hand is excrutiating. Does ANYONE have any advice??

I also have an allergy to Vitamin C. This manifested itself when I was 18 years of age (many other allergies but none to Vitamin C up to then). The reaction I experience is also hives, swelling but also severe respiratory distress. Over the years, every doctor I have seen has advised me it is not possible to be allergic to Vitamin C as they have never seen it. My current doctor frequently forgets and prescribes me medications containing friut flavors. It is nice to see others who have proven the "experts" wrong and I am not crazy!

I had been having many digestive, skin and neurological problems which were all linked to an allergy to Vitamin C by my chiropractor. He did something called the Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique (NAET)--I held a vial containing vitamin C in one hand, and he stimulated different acupuncture points on my hands, arms and feet without using acupuncture needles (he used a little machine that vibrates). Afterwards I had to hold the vial for 15 minutes and then I was told to not consume vitamin C for 24 hours. Weeks later, I feel perfectly fine. It sounds bizarre, but it worked for me, so maybe it will work for you too!

I have had this prblem since birth. I cannot eat hardly any fruit and cannot tollerate any Vit C.
I've always thought it was due to the acid in Vit C, juice and fruits. Along with the above mentioned issues I also develop sores in my mouth and stomach problems ( can't stay off the pot ) including severe heart burn.
My father had this in his younger years. He claims that he gradually increased his Vit C ( vitamins and fruits) and now they don't cause him any problems. I have tried this and have had no luck. Vit C and citris products just do not work with me so I avoid them or eat them in very small quanitites.

my friend is severely allergic to vitamin c and citric acid and cannot tolerate it at all- she has those set of antibodies that fight against vitamin C and citric acid. she'll get skin rashes if shes exposed to it or she'll pass out and go into shock if she digested it. she carries an epi-pen (epinephrine) with her at all times so if she accidentally ingested it, she'll either try to stab herself with it before she goes into complete shock or has someone else do it for her if theyre around. shes sick all the time, and has developed so many infections, diseases, and complications over the course of her life (shes in her early 20's now), but shes staying very strong. i dont know what those "experts" are talking about, but my friend is definitely proof that people can be highly allergic to vitamin C. and i hope they can figure out ways to help them get better and live longer without dealing with so many health problems.

Did anyone have a treatment plan for vitamin C allergy? Appreciate any input.

Hi, I too have had an allergy to vitamin C since birth that has gradually got worse. I can not have anything with ascorbic acid, cranberries, citrus in it. My allergy is unusual in that I end up with a bladder infection with the most severe exposure to vit c ending up in my bladder bleeding within 24 hours. It is frustrating because now I can not take urinary alkinizers to ease the pain and have to get antibiotics every time which messes with the diabetes. I would like to try a multivitamin suppliment but am yet to find one that is ok. Has anyone tried a non acidic vit c?

Yes, I agree. I have a diet which consists of a very low vitamin c intake. I don't eat many vegatables and I can't stand fruit. Recently however, I started taking vitamin c supplements to improve my immune system before my finals at uni. I broke out in an itchy nettle like rash across my cheeks which I can only put down to the tablets as I can't think of any new products I tried or anything I did differently. So yes I do think there may possibly be a link.

I am allergic or having reactions with vitamin c. I have not confirm yet but it has got to do with my alpha thalassemia. There are list of drugs and food that an alpha thalssemia diagnosed person should not consume and one of those are large quantity of vitamin c. Some (including me) are having reactions if they eat too much vitamin c like 500mg. I get blisters on the side of mouth, cold sores, and facial dry itchy scalling skin. And if im weak during those days i get colds, even fevers.

If you dont have thalassemia then maybe you have too much iron in the blood during that day or your body retains too much iron in the blood stream. Vitamin C helps absorb Iron. It potentiate Iron. Too much iron will cause you a lot of symptoms. thalassemic people have too much iron in the blood stream that large vitamin c consumption makes them dizzy or have those above symptoms.. some have nose bleeding..