Hello, my friends. My son has been diagnosed with apple allergy. I must admit that I haven’t heard before that someone can be allergic to apples. I wonder if one can grow out of apple allergy. Can anyone help me with this? I would really appreciate if anyone knew the answer for this. Thanks.

Hello. It is possible to have apple allergy. Any food that contains proteins can cause allergy. Many kids that show birch pollen allergy, have a cross reaction to apples. That is why you should be careful. Some allergies can be grown out. You can try with allergy shots. After several years you can repeat prick test. Then you will see if your son is still allergic to apples. I don’t recommend you giving him apples on your own just to see whether he is still allergic. I hope this helps. Bye!

Oral Allergy Syndrome
By Dr. Anthony Ham Pong, M.B., B.S., Paediatric Allergist - Ottawa Ontario.
Published in the June 2000 AAIA newsletter.

Oral Allergy Syndrome is an allergy to certain raw fruits, vegetables, seeds, spices and nuts causing allergic reactions in the mouth and throat. These allergic reactions happen mostly in people with hayfever, especially spring hayfever due to birch pollen, and late summer hayfever due to ragweed pollen (Webmaster note: there is no ragweed pollen in British Columbia west of the Rockies).

An allergic reaction happens while eating the raw food, and causes itchy, tingly mouth, lips, throat and palate. There may be swelling of the lips, tongue and throat, and watery itchy eyes, runny nose and sneezing. Handling the raw fruit or vegetable e.g., peeling it or touching the juice to the lips, may cause rash, itching or swelling where the juice touches the skin, or sneezing, runny nose and water eyes. Sometimes, more severe symptoms can happen such as vomiting, cramps, diarrhea and, on rare occasions, life threatening reactions with swelling of the throat, wheezing, trouble breathing and anaphylaxis.

Fruit, Vegetable & Nut Allergies Associated with Spring Allergies
(due to tree pollen)
Webmaster note: For more foods, see the "Botanical List of Food Families" article
FRUITS:
APPLE family (apple, pear)
PLUM family (plum, peach, prune, nectarine, apricot, cherry)
KIWI

VEGETABLES:
PARSLEY family (carrot, celery, dill, anise, cumin, coriander, caraway)
POTATO family (potato, tomato, green pepper)
NUTS:
Hazelnut, walnut, almond

LEGUMES:
Peas, beans, peanut

SEEDS:
Sunflower

Ragweed allergy (which causes hayfever in August and September) can be associated with allergies to raw bananas, and the members of the gourd family (melon, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, zucchini and cucumber).

Grass allergy can be associated with allergies to orange, melon, watermelon, tomato, kiwi, peanut.

These allergic reactions usually occur only when the food is raw. People who are allergic to the raw food can eat it cooked, canned, microwaved, processed or baked. For example, someone allergic to raw apples can eat apple sauce, apple jelly, apple juice, apple pie and dried apples. However, nuts may cause allergic reactions whether raw or cooked. This problem is usually life long. Allergy tests to these foods may sometimes be negative unless a fresh fruit is used for the test (instead of a commercial allergy extract). The allergic reaction to these foods can occur anytime of the year when eating the foods but can be worse during the pollen season and especially if hayfever is very troublesome that year.

The allergic reaction is not due to pesticides, chemicals or wax on the fruit. Howeve,r because the more allergic part of the fruit may be in the skin, some people allergic to fruits, e.g., peaches, can eat the flesh without reaction if the skin is peeled away. Similarly for apples, some brands of apples cause more allergic reactions than others. Freshly picked apple, e.g., straight from the tree or an unripe apple, may cause fewer allergic reactions than one which is very ripe or one which has been stored for weeks after picking.

Severe allergic reactions to foods causing Oral Allergy Syndrome are most likely to occur with celery, kiwi, peaches, apricots, apples and nuts, especially hazelnuts.

Oral Allergy Syndrome

Allergy/Asthma Information Association,
Box 100, Toronto, Ontario M9W 5K9
Phone (416) 679-9521 or 1-800-611-7011 Fax: (416) 679-9524

hello, i have the same problem.iam allergic to apples and i get itchy throat and a swollen lip. i found a way to eat apples and it works for me. i peel the skin of the apples and then i boil it in water until its soft and kind of semi mashed. then i just drain water and mash the apples and sprinkle some sugar and eat it. it works perfect for me.

My husband has had hayfever since a child and developed oral allergy syndrome/ raw fruit allergy a few years ago. I am pregnant and wondered if there is anything I should avoid eating myself in order to lower the risk of my baby developing these conditions?

This is my second pregnancy. With my first I avoided peanuts because of the link to allergies but now this seems to be in question and I've not heard of any suggestions to avoid fruit? Help!

Well, I've read all the articles on apple allergy that say it's because it's because of pollen, but what if it's not? My boyfriend is allergic to apples, and the way he found out was by eating apple sauce, which isn't supposed to set off an allergy to the pollen... but he also has seasonal allergies. :/ Any help? He's quite literally deathly allergic to apples. He gets a taste and he gets sent to the hospital. Can't breathe, horrible cramps... and it's an allergy he grew into. When he was younger, apples just made him a little queasy, and eventually, they ended up flooring him.

my son is allergic to apples infact he is anaphylaxic to them life threatning, we found out because he had an apple and had a life threatning reaction, we stay away from apple products and apples and the ingrediant malic acid wich is derived from apples its in tooth paste chips like combos the pizza flavorde ones alot of the gummy candy carmel and drinks like poweraide and other sodas as well be certain to read labels

My son is allergic to apples, bananas, cats and dogs. Does anyone know what its caused from? the only 2 other kids that i know have it are also autistic. My son is not autistic but was curious if it is just a individuals body that causes certain allergies.

Hi, My daughter has apple allergies similar to what you all have been discussing..and we've just discovered necterines cause the same reactions.  Unfortunately she can't  have any version of apples..raw, cooked, juice...she gets an itchy mouth, throat and develops a cough.  She first showed signs when she was about 9-10, ahe is now almost 15 and the symptoms are far more serious than when it first started.

i got diagnosed with an apple allergy when i was 10, my eyes swelled up andwereitchy constantly, at 14 i couldnt even be in the same room as someone cutting up an apple and the reaction would happen now im almost 19 and if i have anything with the tiniest bit of appple my throat gets full of ulcers and my tongue and eyes swell up like balloons. its not fun .

I am allergic to apples and have been since I was a child I have Never grown out of it. I get Lumps and a burning sensation Usually on my face. I have had to go to the Hospital for shots even from just being around them.

My DD is allergic to apples....this of course also includes apple cider vinegar.  We have to read all labels!!!!  Apples and vinegar are in just about everything....right down to the berry filling used for cakes.

She breaks out in hives.  Luckily a touch of benadryl will alleviate her itching.  I cannot emphasize enough to read the labels.  If your child also has the apple vinegar allergy, remember they often add vinegar to meats as a tenderizer.   She does fine with distilled vinegar.  I make her pearsauce as an applesauce substitute.  She is 9 now and diagnosed around age 2.

Good luck!

I had this allergy my whole life. But only in the past 10 years have I developed an intense 2 week, early spring, hayfever. Ironically I was able to eat my first raw apple last week without a reaction at all. So yes. You can grow out of it but I'm 41. It's taken a while (but it was worth the wait! To me it'slike a major life event! Lol)
I haven't yet tried plums peaches pears or hazelnuts (the other major reactors for me) but it seems like such a miraculous thing I'm very hopeful.
Not even the smell sets me off now. It's amazing! And thanks to the drawn out cold weather this year I'm hoping I'll miss my hayfever season too >

I am 42 and have also been allergic to raw apples as long as I can remember. Also raw peaches, cherries, and unripe pears. Eating these fruits raw have caused me to get swollen lips, itchy mouth and wheezing and constricted throat(anaphylaxis). Some people freak out about the wheezing, but in my case, I have never felt that my life was threatened, even when the wheezing was pretty intense, and have never gone to the hospital to treat a reaction. I have had milder reactions from eating raw carrots (swollen lips) and some nuts like raw almonds and hazelnuts - but these reactions seem even milder in the past 10 or so years.
Inspired by an article in the local paper last week about whether a course of micro-administration of peanuts might help kids outgrow nut allergies, I picked up a Royal Gala apple last week to just take a bite, to see if i had any reaction. To my shock I detected nothing, so took another. Slowly, I ate the whole apple. I thought I sensed a very slight stomach ache, but no other reaction. I have since had an apple a day. I also ate a Macintosh apple, with similar success. Recently, I am not noticing any stomache ache.

I have read that apple allergies may be more intense in the spring and summer months because of pollen levels. As it is currently March, maybe that's why I am not reacting. Another theory is that I have been eating a lot of pears in the past year. Pears have given me reactions in the past, but never as severe as apples. Perhaps, I have been reducing my sensitivity to the culprit proteins through pear consumption. I intend to keep up with regular apple consumption to see if this is something that I can overcome even when the pollen returns to the air. Not being able to eat the ubiquitous raw apple is a pain. Would be great to overcome this.

That is not always true.. I am one of these cases... Anything that contains any form of apple juice, apple sauce, jelly, jam... apples of any sort.. cooked or not... anaphylaxis for me. Due to a lot of restaurants listening to the myth that all of us can eat them cooked, it's a life of epi pen and a prayer, as they do not declare apple products in their sauces, recipes, etc. The doctor who made that statement is pretty reckless on his statement... There are actually MANY people around the world who can't even have their raw allergy food COOKED. I would really like to see that reckless statement edited... for me and many others, you can cook it and feed it to us, we still will die...