One thing I want to add to this: If Moses and Aaron had settled a couple of hundred miles to the north, the "Epic of Gilgamesh" a contemporary document of the Old Testament, would probably be in the Bible.
Our current Bible as we know it, was compiled by the Council Of Nicene in about 600AD. It was there a vote was taken on the Divinity of Christ - (overwhelmingly in favor). Many other Gospels and other writings did not make it into the Bible. The Gospels we use in our services now were written about 300AD. The remaining Gospels, were suppressed and declared "heretical". We are fortunate they were saved by the Coptic Monks in Egypt and the Sinai Peninsula.
Taken all together these documents give us rare insights into the early Church.

thanks Andy, I knew there was a name to Councill that declared certain books as canonical. There may have been another Council as well, but at the moment I don't recall it. (it's only been 20 years since college, when I minored in religion.)

Very well said.