How would a difference in religion affect dating/marriage in your life? If you are a firm [enter religion here] and your partner is a different denomination, would that bother you? What if they didn't believe in god?

Rex and I aren't the same religion. It was never an issue, although we had to think about it some when we had children. Now we observe/celebrate everything our two religions have, and we like it a lot.

I think if people want to work at it, it's totally doable. I think when people don't want to work at it, or have different expectations from the other person and/or what religion means to them, it can be difficult.

It also helps if you have a supportive family, which we do.

If Rex was an athiest, would that bother you? [I'm assuming he's not because how much celebrating do athiests really do?]

My Doctor Phil spin on it is that you need to have similar beliefs and values for a lasting relationship. Now that's not to imply a difference in denomations isn't surmountable, but it's going to make life a whole lot more difficult.

The catch-22 about religion is those beliefs are inherently 'the most' important thing in your life if you subscribe fully to it. And if you become wishy-washy about something as core as your values, I don't see how that can be anything but deterimental to a relationship...you know, the age old "you're not the person I married" song and dance.

So really, I think the journey of religion is such a high priority, it needs to be right up at the top of the list as what you and a mate share. With the years passing and the spiritual growth two people take together, the bond created as they evolve hand in hand within a church is a glue that this world just can't tear apart.

I don't think it would bother me. He's entitled to his view. It's not like we see eye to eye on every matter within both religions. If he thought there was no God and I did, I don't see how that's any different. To insist that we need to think alike on that or any other matter, really, is to treat him not as an equal but as somehow subordinate. I sure wouldn't stand for that and neither would he.
In fact atheists can still do a lot of celebrating. For example, if one were ethnically Jewish but a nonbeliever, there are still all sorts of things to be celebrated: Hanukkah, Rosh Hashanah, Purim, and some other holidays you might not know about that have to do with the harvest, etc. None of these have any direct connection to God.

I think that it really depends on what you believe. I don't think that you have to subscribe to a religion or any religion to have a long and healthy lasting relationship. Spritual growth can happen without the presence of formalized religion.

Certainly. It's all a personal journey. And for the 80+% of America that calls themselves Christians, Jewish, Muslim, it's all about eternal life, right? And aside from yourself, your spouse is going to be the person you really have the hugest concern for in regards to eternal life, no? So definitely, healthy, happy and successful marriages happen without this journey happening simultaneously, but it's been my experience and many around me, when a marriage includes an honest, open, earnest church life, it is even more fulfilling.

I was originally Methodist, brought up Presbyterian from age 8 on. My husband was Lutheran. When he went to seminary I was atheist. Difference of faith was never a problem, especially after we both gave up on organized religion having seen too much of the inner workings of The Church.

Actually since we don't have to follow any stringent religious rules we can celebrate a lot!!!
My SO is more religious than I am (obviously) and even though I am told that I am going to H$LL frequently, we get along great.
I just choose to believe a little differently about things. Marriage is 13 years old and still chugging along.
It's not that hard to entice people over to the dark side.
Muwhahahahaha

I think this is still ontop... If a person has not been graced with faith, a devout Christian should be less inclined to choose that person to be married? (that's a question)

I appreciate what you are saying and I think that it just goes to show how different we all are in our beliefs. I personally don't think or care about eternal life. I am not saying this to go against what you are saying, just meerly stating what I believe. I think we agree to disagree.

It depends on the Christian. If that Christian puts a priority in sharing a deep spiritual relationship both in and out of the church, then that Christian probably should be less inclined to choose a particular person to be married to. In my mind it's a compatability issue.

For me it would be very difficult to spend the rest of my life and raise children with someone whose religious views were radically different from mine.

I think a good part of it is how you view religion personally. I and G3 are both very spiritual people but I don't think my particular faith (RC) is the universal truth for everyone. It is the pathway that I use to connect with God. I believe there are many equally valid pathways.

In fact, I've thought for years that organized religion was God's greatest joke on humanity, in some ways.

I, and a number of Religious scholars, pretty much agree that what we as little humans consider God, if we can even get near the concept, is just a tiny version of the immense beauty that a Creator actually is. Far beyond the scope of our little anthrpomorphic attempts at naming it. Think big, think really, really big, think even bigger still, and we're not even coming close.

I hear that. I do feel that even though Rex and I don't come from the same religion, our religious views aren't particularly different. I think we both value a creator, we both see our place within this world, we both try to see the God in others, try to do God's work, etc. The language might be different, the main characters may be different but it's what more like what jrjo says, that the core stuff underneath is the same.