Hi, I am 16 years old. Every time I close my eyes and try to sleep, the worst possible images start showing up in my head. I keep imagining situations that would hurt me most, like death of someone I love, or something similar. Recently, these images started to torture me during the day too. I have a constant fear of death, and I need help!

My daughter is also going through puberty and has the same problem as you. She has nightmares, and she often wakes up sweating and screaming, thinking that someone has died. She is also imagining horrifying scenarios and then cries for hours later. Maybe the thing with you kids is that you’re oversensitive at this age. However, many adults are also constantly feared of death, maybe not as much as you, but enough to behave differently. They are delaying in writing wills and making up stories about heaven and hell. It’s normal for humans to be thinking about this kind of things and to be frightened of anything unfamiliar, but you shouldn’t let this feeling rule your life. Enjoy your youth and strength while you can, and be happy and thankful for the opportunity to be part of this wonderful world.

i thought i was the only one, i always think im gunna die, i have no idea why, every single pain in my body i think im gunna die, i know alot of peoplel ike that to, recently i been trying to think of other things then it. and i am 14 yrs old :-) try to think of other things and know ur family and u are healthy and u guys are going to be ok. thats what i do. i hope this helped somewhat

[This is long but, please read it all. You won't be dissapointed]

hello! I know exactly how that feels. I have been through it. I could tell you what I know it was for me, as it stopped when this happened:

I used to fear death and dying. A LOT. the images in my mind, the worrying, you just cant be yourself. It overtakes you

From a Biblical standpoint, we are spiritual creatures. Meaning, we are made with a spiritual side, a soul.

When I was feeling this way, i found that something deep inside me was the root of the problem. I feared death because I was not ready for it. I had unanswered questions in my mind about where I were to go if it actually happened to me.

I tried different churches. Many of them talked about accepting the Lord as a "personal savior." The problem is. i had already done this. I prayed the sinners prayer and was baptized in the father, son, and HolyGhost. BUT i STILL felt this way! Something was still missing and empty. I did not feel clean; after the baptism I felt as if I had just gotten wet!

No change, no true happiness.

Is this IT? Thats all? Or, is there more to living for such a great, big, awesome, POWERFUL God? He created everything. He created me, too and knows just how to make these feelings go away.

Well, looking through the Bible, there was not even ONE scripture on ACCEPTING the Lord as my personal savior. What I DID find though, was that HE ACCEPTS US!

Read Ephesians 1:4-7

"4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved. 7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace" (NKJV)

He calls us and accepts us! Isn't that even better to know this great big God is reaching for US?

Well, what happened? How did these feelings go away?

Something happened to me. Something REAL this time! First i prayed and asked God to forgive any of my sins. I told Him, that with his help, I would turn away from anything he wanted me to turn away from. And I said, "Lord, I will obey YOU. Whatever you want for my life, I turn it over to YOU!" I meant this with all my heart. I felt a huge burden lifted off my shoulders. I started to feel free. But, I did not stop there. My lips started trembling. I could feel His presence. He was so close to me. I started telling God how much I loved him. I was yelling "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH JESUS! THANK YOU JESUS!" to the top of my lungs by this time because i felt such a desperate need for change in my life. I needed God so bad, and I knew it! I didn't care what anyone else thought.

Just then, my trembling lips turned into my tounge moving and words coming out of my mouth. But these were no longer my words. They were God's words. (this was God showing me he truly had control of my life.) I didnt know what I was saying. God did. I was speaking in tongues like in Acts 2:4

"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."

Then, I finally felt truly clean as I was Baptized in THE NAME of the father, son, and HolyGhost. Yea. The NAME: JESUS! I was only baptized in the titles before. Now, I had been baptized in JESUS NAME!

Read Acts 2:38

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

You may be wondering if this if for today or if this is even for you.

Well, I'm glad you asked. :) Read the next scripture, Acts 2:39

"For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."

Jesus set the standard:

Death, Burial, Resurection
Our old man must die (Repent), We must be buried in Him (Be baptized in Jesus Name), and be resurected! (Recieve the HolyGhost!) :D

AWESOME! God is good :D

How can a person talk about how they are trapped? I feel trapped. I can consume myself with good things and wrap myself around good people but the feeling and knowing that some day I will die lingers. I use the word linger to express that it is always there.I literally smile, laugh and have funny, happy great moments in my life, I traveled to beautiful places, met amazing people, I have a decent family, and I am grateful for all that has been present to me, I do good in school, I play sports, I have friends, I have a plan for my future. All of that is demolished within seconds. I'm seventeen. I have never taken medicine for depression and I don't experience with drugs nor do I drink. The only possible reason I have for my feelings are genetics. My family has had chemical imbalances and have been diagnosed with depression. Why do I have this fear of something so deep and I cant even describe it.

i have the same problem. I always have this on going fear of death. My death or someone i love's death. When my mom texts and drives I always get this senstation that she will lose control of the car and we will crash and all die, or just her. Or when i walk up or down the stairs, i practically run because of the ridiculous fear of someone possibly being behind me. Im only 14 and most of the nights, scratch that, every night I can't fall asleep due to the fear that someone will kill me in my bed. Its getting to be too much for me to handle. I need help and i also suffer from Anxiey Disorder so that doesn't help at all. Is there anyone out there who has the same problems as me? I desperatly need a solution. I can't handle it !!!!! >:""(

I am 39 (almost 40). As recent as 5-6 years ago I was one of those guys that felt invincible. I would do anything. I spend a lot of time outdoors, hiking, camping, floating basically I love outdoor adventure. I have a little brother that is about 17 years younger than me. He reminds me a lot of my younger self. Brave and borderline reckless at times. In the past few years something has changed within me. I lost my dad in 2006 and that was a crushing blow. He wasn't only my dad, but my best friend. Also year by year I've noticed guys my age that I went to school with seem to be dropping like flies. Cancer, stroke, heart attack etc etc. Now everything I do has to be calculated, I have to make sure I'm well rested, properly hydrated, trying to improve my diet etc. I really think losing my dad was a major psychological blow. Now I not only no longer feel invincible but I have this constant fear of death. I have lived a pretty wild life. I haven't always had the best diet, I use smokeless tobacco, I used to drink very heavily. I just feel like the grim reaper is about two steps behind me at all times. What's really sad is that even IF I were to be given a number (ex: "you have 2 yrs to live") I am spending the remainder of my life in fear. Even during the best of times I still have this fear lingering in the back of my mind. I do have some religious "hang ups" I guess you could say. I have not lived a righteous life by any means. I have committed probably every sin there is to commit and numerous times at that. Overall I am a better person than I once was, but still far from the way I feel I should be. I'm not delusional, if I were to die today I'm pretty sure I'm not going to heaven. I have never been baptized although I grew up in the 'Church of Christ'. The day I turned 18 I never went back. I believe that my problem is a combination of a fear of death due to my dad dying at a relative early age and a fear of what will happen to me after I die. 

bakowski wrote:

Hello I had this same exact case. This is not a disorder that will be cured with pills, the symptons can subside, but you would have to take the pills. For my the ONLY thing that helped me was my Faith in JESUS CHIRST. THE ALL TIME HEALER. This ran in my family and the curse was later passed down to me. I can testify know that I am free from the bondage of the fear of death. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Thank you so, so much for this. I'm 14 and I have a paralyzing, constant fear of death; I live in a Catholic household and sometimes I feel that emptiness as well, and you have no idea how much your post helped me.