Hey, 
This is my first time trying one of these sites.. I'm not sure what to expect or if it will help, I just wanted to see if other people have similar problems like mine and what they do or did about it.. 
I'm 18 years old and I have never been to a doctor for it but I'm sure I have social Anxiety. I never liked school but when I went i'd always have fun with my friends and came home happy, but two years ago things started to change and I wasn't happy anymore, I hated school and I felt like the people I went to school with all judged me and I judged myself for it. I would miss long periods at a time cause after one day of missing I wouldn't want to go back and face them, even though they probably weren't as aware as I felt about it. The beginning of my last year of high school I dropped out, and wasn't able to graduate with my friends. I regret doing it so bad, I tried home schooling and couldn't commit, I even tried to go back to high school again, and then dropped out once more.. whats worse is these past two years, I've been inside, barley going out unless It was to see my best friend, or my cousin whom I'm really close with, or for family get together's. And even then I would make excuses not to go, Its like I get this feeling in my gut and chest that I cant do something, Like why would I try that I cant do it. My parents tried and tried to help but i refused and said I cant, how am I suppose to go talk to someone, or see a doctor, i'm terrified to go to school, to get a job ( I had one for three days and then felt like I couldn't do it so I quit) to meet people to go out where people are. Dealing with people scares me so much, I have no idea how I am suppose to do the things that everyone else does in life like its no big deal. At times I feel like screw it I can do this and then the next i'm like yeah right no you cant. I'm my own worse enemy. I judge myself and then hate myself for not meeting everyone's expectations.  And I feel like on top of everything i'm depressed from it all. the only time I feel okay with others is when i'm drinking. I've read about pills and stuff that can help with anxiety but I don't want to rely on pills for the rest of my life, and with the pills I cant go out with my best friend drinking anymore. What am I suppose to do? I just wish it would all go away..

I struggled with seeing a doctor for the longest time and struggled with the idea of medication.  I have now hit a point in my life where I have realized how necessary this has been all along.  I am still struggling but am so thankful the doctors and the support they are giving me.

I understand completely. I'm 17 now, but ever since I left elementary school, I started avoiding people. I always made up excuses as to why I was 'that girl.. the loner that people assume is "too cool for company". Making friends was so fun. I rarely go outside. Really, I haven't been anywhere past my driveway since I was 7 maybe 8. Well, I still go out, but I've never been out with friends ever. I used to have a few best friends but I avoided them too. If there is anything I can say, it is that once you stop one thing it's hella hard to do it again. You're right. Quitting school wasn't the best choice. Now you're even more uncomfortable with the situation. School life moves on, and there are new faces you have to get used to. Try to just think of it like you are a freshman if that helps.

From my experience, I have grown out of little by little. Or rather, I became fed up with how I was. Doubt is the worst thing you could ever do to yourself. Whatever you believe, you can achieve. When I realized that I was the only thing holding me back, I thought "well I think I'm a weak person.. Yeah I can beat me!" so everytime I would be struggling with conversation, I would just say to my self ef it, and say the first random thing in my head. People might think I'm crazy, but that's more fun isn't it? Humans need companionship no matter how long or short. Just stop caring about what anyone thinks. Do things spur of the moment. You don't want to depend on pills, but are willing to depend on alcohal? Drinking does more damage to your body, and then where would your friends be. I'm sure you are a nice person, most people with this condition are. You just have to see the infinite possibility you have.

Best of luck to you. Look up some meditations for self confidence. They helped me so much. I can't remember any specific ones at the moment, but there are a lot of good ones on YouTube.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use