Can I ask you something which is bothering me? I had a lot of problems with my liver. I am not sure exactly what is wrong. They have told me that they had to measure the alkaline phosphatase. It has something to do with my liver problems. My alkaline phosphatase level is increased. Can you tell me why that is? Also I would like to know what alkaline phosphatase is.

Alkaline phosphatase is a group of enzymes which are mainly found in liver and in the bones. Also small levels could be in placenta so if you were pregnant lately that could explain the higher level of alkaline phosphatase. Measurement of it is very useful in checking the possibility of liver and bone diseases. Increased alkaline phosphatase could be caused by cholestatis, cirrhosis, hepatitis, fatty liver, liver tumor, drug intoxication or cholangitis.