My mom has severe problems with her liver. I think that she will have to go to a liver transplantation. But I am not an expert. I need some information. Doctor says that the problem is caused by autoimmune cholangitis. Can you tell me something about this kind of a disease?

It is rather rare disease so I believe that you have difficulties to find something about it. When my wife had it I have to go to my friend who is a doctor for information. Characteristic for autoimmune cholangitis is a slow onset of cholestasis. It is uncertain that this disease is separate entity or it is simply a variant of PBS or autoimmune hepatitis. Prednisolone therapy helps in reducing the inflammatory activities in liver biopsy specimen.

Hello there Fernandina,

I am so sorry to hear that your mother has been diagnosed with autoimmune cholangitis which is very rare diseases. My mother suffers from Lupus so I am aware how it is difficult to manage with autoimmune condition. Autoimmune disorders are very complicated. First of all it is hard to know the exact cause of the most of the conditions and if you don’t know the cause it is very hard to know how to cure it.

Your mother’s doctor is going to let you know about all the details you want to know. When it comes to the treatment unfortunately only the symptoms of this condition can be somewhat relieved. Good luck and keep us posted.