Hi, I have a question about an illness that I just heard about. It is called Paget’s disease or Paget’s inflammation. I have no idea what kind of condition this is. All that I know about it is that Paget’s inflammation affects bones. What also crossed my way is that this disease is very alike arthritis. What can you tell me about it?

Hi, Paget’s inflammation is a chronic bone disease. It causes bone destruction and than the growth of the same bone. This produces bone enlargement or bone deformities. Arthritis may also develop as a result of Paget’s inflammation. This condition can be widespread or stay localized on one or two areas of the body. Every bone can be affected but mostly pelvis, thigh, spine and upper arm. If the scull is where the Paget’s disease appeared, a hearing loss, blindness and loose teeth can develop. The cause is still unknown although there is some guessing. Genetics and virus are mostly mentioned as it. This condition is diagnosed with the help of alkaline phosphatase blood test. If the level of alkaline phosphatase is above normal, a new test is performed. Bone scan, X-ray or a bone specific alkaline phosphatase are those tests. The best treatment results are accomplished if the disease is diagnosed in its early stages. The treatment includes drug therapy, proper nutrition and exercises.