I had a truly awful experience yesterday and am still in pain today. I am 43, postmenopausal with no history of cancer. I went in for a "routine" mammogram at a place that has a new 3D machine, expecting this to be a top-of-the-line experience. The tech kept taking bad images and redoing them, taking the last set of L+ R breasts twice. There is a readout showing how many pounds are being applied and I watched as the pressure went from around 7-10lbs, to about 15 lbs, and for the final one, which took my breath away, the readout read 29 POUNDS OF PRESSURE. I was literally dizzy afterwards and the pain got worse and worse over the course of the night. I have had two mammograms before and have NEVER had pain that lingered past the mammogram itself. Not only does the breast tissue itself hurt but the muscles connected to my sternum and under my armpits are too painful to touch. I iced my breasts down, took ibuprofen and put essential oils on them and prayed I would feel better in the morning. It hurt so bad I couldn't fall asleep until the wee hours of the morning and woke up 3 hours later in worse pain. My breasts are inflamed and the pain is intensifying. I have fibrocystic breasts and each of those spots is highly tender. I am considering going to a walk-in emergency clinic to get it on record and see if they can identify what's happened but have no idea what they can do for me.  >>>Does anyone know what the normal range of pressure is for a mammogram? I've looked everywhere and can't find this information. >>>Has anyone had success filing a complaint? (Needless to say I will absolutely never subject myself to this again without clear and overwhelming cause and I urge others to be extremely skeptical about "routine screenings" and the dangers they pose as other posters have mentioned. If you do choose to get a mammogram, make sure you do not allow the tech to decide for you what an appropriate level of pain is, and insist they reduce pressure or stop. Walk out of you have to and find someone elsewhere.)

Wow! I'm so sorry that happened to you.
I am a 2x Cancer survivor, not breast cancer, however while receiving my regular chemo treatments and "new girl" had a push drug to put in my port. My port was right above my left breast for about 4 years. This girl missed the port and pushed the drug directly into my breast tissue. All drugs are poisonous as you might know and some drugs should never be put into skin tissue, only veins. This drug damaged my skin terribly. As the years have passed and gravity has pulled my breast tissue down, the rock hard calcified tissue is a nightmare to deal with come Mammo time. However, these are MY boobs. If the pain is too much, YOU have got to speak up for yourself. I tell this to every woman. I have virtually no tolerance for pain. I am a nightmare patient from what I've heard nurses mutter under their breath about me. I didn't ask for any of this, none of it. I used to be able to take a beating.. but now can barely handle a hug. So, back to Mammo's.. I've built a trust with one person at the center where I have mine done. I'll only have them scheduled on her days of work. If she's sick or something, I reschedule. I suggest you get that rapport going as well. She can conduct the mammograms with the absolute least amount of discomfort and usually that's just underarm skin getting pinched due to positioning. It can be done and you do not have to take the pain so to speak. Some people will apologize profusely but still keep on hurting you, well, these people need to be retrained. Mammo's don't have to be so painful you are still hurting when you put your clothes back on. I understand we are all built differently, but believe it.. Mammo's do not have to hurt! God love you and bless you, I hope you're better now. Be your own advocate.. politely ask for another tech if you're being hurt.

I had the same experience as the lady described above. My breast are still painful after my first 3D Mammo..I complained but this woman said I wasn’t cooperating... I am going back to my routine mammo”s next year... Ibhave neeb getting mammo’s for the past 20 yrs... This year was almost unbearable....