I will never get a mammogram  again. What happened to me seems unique as I can find ni posting anywhere with the same issue.

I am 68, live a very organic natural lifestyle and know my body pretty well. The only medicine I take is bio identical hormones. To get the RX I have to go for a yearly physical. At my December visit, she believed she felt a mass in my right breast and refused to give me  the RX unless I had mammogram and ultrasound. She addressed it in a way that was horrifying for me, causing me to believe I had breast cancer, and I spent the next two weeks, waiting for my test, and planning for the end. Well the tests were done. I seem to only have several cysts that are benign. But 5 days later, I woke up, looked in the mirror and screamed. It looked like the skin on my face collapsed with big rings of sagging skin under my eyes. The nest day my right eye started to burn and peel. This has been going on for three weeks. At first there was intense burning sensation, but that has weakened. The almost constant itch is still here. Everyday flakes of skin fall off my eyelid. The skin in the area is also now darker. I looked up my symptoms, and to my surprise, they seemed to describe side effects from RADIATION THERAPY. Mammography is supposed to be safe but I believe this is my body's way of dealing with radiation exposure, even at low doses. I have not been out in the sun, or changed my skin care, or changed my soap or detergent, nor eaten any new foods, nor received any physical damage from outside sources, show no signs of infection,  so I believe the mammography is the culprit. When speaking to the doctor who read my tests, he said it was impossible. I am proof it is possible. I was very concerned because I really like the bio identicals  and how they help me to stay fully functional at almost 70 years of age. BUT I will NOT ever get a mammogram again. My doctor wants me to go through the tests every 6 months! I asked the doctor if there was an alternative and he said I cold just get the ultrasound, especially since I have dense breasts that did not read well. After reading so many personal accounts of problems and read of the high rate of false positives, I was wondering why it is still routine prescribed. I bet that the insurance companies will not pay for the ultrasound unless the mammogram comes first. I bet the people who own the profits of these machines want you to believe that this is a REQUIREMENT to be woman. PLEASE read more where ever you find truth and find safer ways if there is truly a need to explore beyond the eyes and self knowledge. I also bet that if men had to go through a test every year that squeezed their testicles really hard, they would quickly come up with a better test. For me, the psychological stress  from my doctors words and the physical distress from my burning, itching, still flaking eyelid has made me a strong non-supporter of mammography.

If anyone has had bad side effects after mammography other than those related directly to pain  from the extreme pressure required during the test , please let me know.  Specifically, I wonder if anyone else has had dark, burning, itching skin any where on their body after mammography?

In response to the 68 year old guest post, I had a mammogram one week ago. Three days afterward, a couple of red spots appeared on the medial side of my left breast near my sternum. They are each about the size of a dime and BURN and itch. I don't itch them because they hurt more than they itch. Seven days afterward, a small spot appeared on my back, also about the size of a dime. That spot is painful, even down into the muscle. Just sitting here, typing this, I can feel the burn and pain from both areas. Under my left arm, all around the outside of the armpit, the skin feels (but does not look) irritated. I keep checking it to see if there is any change in appearance because the sensation of over-dryness is bothering me, but I see nothing. I haven't changed anything I eat or do...the only thing has been the mammogram.

I wrote the above post starting with "In response to...". The rash ha now spread across the left side of my back, is blistering and a spot is showing up in my left armpit. Went to Urgent Care where they diagnosed it to most likely be shingles. :(

I had a 3D mammogram yesterday and today my face, starting at my cheekbones to my chin, is bumpy and rough, stings and itches constantly. The rest of my body appears to be unaffected, so far. I will see my doctor today for her opinion.

I had a mammogram the last week in October I felt like the skin of my breast stuck to the platform they place it on. I almost had to pull it off. It happened to a lesser degree on the second breast. That evening the area on the underside of my breast and sternum turned bright red creating an 8” circle. It began to itch intensely, less so on my left breast. I was traveling at the end of the week and never called my doctor or radiology center. It took two months to fully heal and the skin is slightly darker pink than the rest of my body. I wrote a letter to the radiology center president but only had a reply yesterday with a number to call, not her personal extension, just a general number. I was either allergic to something they cleaned the machine with or it was a fungal infectio. Still waiting to hear from them!