Hi all. Just  had my yearly mammogram done  and they found a 11 mm asymmetry mass and two small other lumps also but have decided to just keep an eye on any changes in my left breast for anymmore  changes. My mother lost both of her breast to cancer. This worries me that there have been changes since my last mammogram but yet they do not even schedule a biopsy to really see what is going on. Should I get a second opinion? Thank you Deannie 

Hi Deannie,

Who is they?  Your doctor or the radiologist???

I'd suggest you get another opinion.

There was a study from the University of Virginia a few years back that linked asymmetries or masses to invasive breast cancer.  The good news, from the same study, was that patient survival rates were high when the masses were smaller than 2cm.

You can always discuss the "keep an eye on it" plan with your doctor.

The findings do not necessarily mean that you have cancer.  But, with your family history and since it is a change from your baseline mammogram results there should be further investigation.  It does not have to be done with a biopsy, ultrasound imaging, spot views, etc. are all used as diagnostic tools.

Good luck. 

My doctor and my radiologist both decided that nothing needed to be futhure done. And I did go back for a ultra sound. Basically I had two different radiologist went had it done on a Saturday that was with my first radiologist who felt that my doctor should get a ultra sound done and another mammogram. Did that the second radiologist felt nothing else needed to be done even with my family history.

If it was a radiologist, and not just a tech, then they are doctors. Check to be sure.

If you had two radiologists, board certified (American Board of Radiologists or the equivalent) then I would be comfortable with their findings - for now.

When do they plan for you to have a follow up? In a year?

Yes a year is what it said in my report. Guess I am just little confused with one report stating such finding should be evaluated more and then another stating come back in a year but I guess it's just me but my gut feeling is there is something going on with this mass. But I guess I should just stick for now with what they say to do. Thank you for your help. Deannie

The ultrasound was the "evaluated more."

Despite what they think, doctors are people too and no different than anyone else.

Many would be surprised you'd even question their treatment plans. You can always tell your doctor you want to come back sooner. Advocate for yourself! This is your body, your life, not theirs. You have the right to determine your health care needs.

Thank you very much. You have been very helpful. Deannie

One final question please. If a mass is changing growing what does this mean? Sorry trying to learn as much as I can what to watch for.. Deannie

No problem.

If the mass is growing it is getting bigger. Why? If it's a tumor then it's beginning to invade surround tissues. Was this noted on the report?

Well when I read my final report from the hospital on my pc it stated that it had gone from 9mm to 11 not much but had gotten bigger. I must sound silly I know. They stated that although they did note that it was bigger that they felt that it was benign. Also under neath my arm left arm my lymph nodes have been swelling some. They had a lady who was in the process of learning to do the ultra sound test do mine and the nurse kept having to come in and remind her what to look for. I guess that is why I am questioning things from the last report. Silly I know but rather had some one that had done this many times before. And I mean no disrespect to her just would have eased my mind more if that makes since. Deannie

Thank you for your time. Deannie

Deannie, it's not silly at all. .

If you can, please get another opinion. I'm concerned that:

1. The mass is getting bigger.
2. You have swollen lymph nodes.
3. The family history.

If they suspect that it is benign than they can do a needle biopsy to confirm. Then we know!

Thank you I feel that at this time I should get a second opinion. Where do I start

Should I go back to my doctor and ask for more test are just request that a needle biopsy be done. Am I able to do this on my own?

A doctor would have to order the needle biopsy. You can't have it done on your own.

The polite way to handle this would be to tell your doctor that you plan to get a second opinion. This should not be a surprise to them and they should be willing to help you make arrangement to have the records transferred, etc.

They may offer to help refer you to someone else. You can also check with your state licensing boards or your nearest hospital. DO check them out thoroughly.