Hi Yall, I'm new to this diabetes thing. I was diagnosed a little over six months ago. There are so many things you have to remember. Summer is here and it is really getting warm outside and I know I have to carry my insulin with me. So, what do I need to do about my insulin & hot weather? I know I have to keep my insulin in the fridge at home and room temp is okay for the day but it is really get hot outside. How do I keep my meter, insulin and insulin strips protected? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

As summer roles around or your in a tropical climate, you need to take care of yourself and your insulin. You need to take in plenty of fluids as you will lose water to perspiration. It's a good idea to wear some sun protection such as lotion and/or protective clothing. If you plan on exercising, swimming is good in the heat (protects you from the heat) but if you plan to do other activities you might to do those inside. Make sure to check your blood glucose levels often. It is suggested that you do this 4 times a day or more. If you sense that your are overheated, dizzy or in general don't feel well, get out of the sun. You may need to lie down for a while. Make sure you have your diabetes identification with you.

You should have your insulin with you but it needs to be at normal temperature so you should carry this in an insulated case. You may need to carry a cold pack in your case. Do not freeze the insulin and keep it away from direct sunlight. Your meter and strips need to be protected as well. Don't leave any of these items in your car. Your car can get well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Just remember to keep everything cool including you and you should be fine.