Couldn't find what you looking for?


I am willing upset about this GP of mine.  I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes because of my blood sugar value on my labe work.  It was 105 fasting blood glucose.  I think that I should start checking my blood sugars because it is the best thing to do.  But the GP said no to test strips or any testing at home.  She thinks that I just need to watch my weigth, my food intake and just exercise to keep everthing at a decent level.  She will not ok a prescription for a  meter or test strips and I think that is bogus!  I have tried and tried to talk her into it but she keeps saying no.  I don't like it one bit.  I think that I should be able to have it so I can keep track of it.  Don't we all use scales to watch our progress in losing weight?  I think it is the same thing... I should be able to have a meter and test strips to check my blood sugars.  Then if they are going up, I know I need to do something different.  OK, so my question is, how do I get them without a doctor's permission?  I think I need to have a prescription to get the meter and the test strips.  Everyone I know who is diabetic said they have a doctor send in a prescription for theirs.  So how do I get around that ?  Should I just go to another doctor and see if that doctor may give me a prescription for it?  I don't know what the big deal is about not giving me a prescription.


I would say that you can just go to your pharmacy and get a meter.  You will just have to pay out of pocket for the test strips and meter.  If you don’t mind that, then you can get them.