If you have been reading Training and Racing Reflections you will note most posts contain refrence to extremes in weather conditions, mainly heat and humidity.
Now we can't do much about the weather but it brings the question of adequate preparation in conjunction with CONTROLED running into much sharper relief.
I see the most important and decisive factor for the rate of an individual's progress during a race is his/her running fitness and the correct assesment of its level. Wishfull thinking and illusions of grandure must be pushed into the background or they will undermine your judgement with a consequent loss of control as the race pressure mounts.

Next you must consider the purpose of your race. Is it a conditioning race, a time trail, a match race against some particular opposition or just a run without any aim? Without having any purpose in mind you will certianly lose concentration and determination when the pressure is beginning to mount, say approx. two thirds into your race, and the longer the race, the more persistant that pressure becomes.

The outside factor of weather conditions, heat, humidity, cold, wind, rain, etc., must also enter your calculations as to how you will tackle the race before you toe the line and may even necessitat re- assessment during the race. If you have a set schedule for one set of circumstances it is foolish in the extreme to persist with such a schedule when the circumstances have changed from the expected, you comence your race without a chance of retaining control.
Many years ago I used to race in some pretty good company, the experienced campainers wisely set themselves a much lower target in the face of hot conditions and strong sunshine (remember we have a whopping big hole in the ozone layer over here) on average marathon times could be as much as 8 or 10 minutes slower. Those who ignored the conditions either pulled out or faded badly.

Good insight Phar. Very well thought out

The weather is defintely out of our control no matter how much we train.

Good thoughts Phar. I always advocate making a racing schedule so as to pinpoint a peak period of racing. I'd say for most people, that is going to be twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. Summer racing is hot and nasty. That's not to say no racing in the summer, but to really attack a PR or have a solid performance with less weather variables, seasonalizing your races is the way to go.

Summer running has been tough. I think the hardest part of summer running is deciding when to run. If I can do it, the best time is about 5am before it is hot. The worst thing about waiting until 7pm, is the waiting and fatigue factor as the day goes on. I really enjoy my early morning Saturday runs; I am a morning person, I enjoy running before the sun is too hot. I am running a 1/2 marathon next weekend, Presque Isle, in Erie PA. It starts at 0730. While I am anticipating running this as a good race, trying to predict a race time for my marathon in October, the number one factor out of my control is the weather. It could be 80 degrees and humid at 0730 in PA. I am also thinking about this as I plan my 1/2 marathon run. While I hope it is somewhere near 60 degrees and doesn't get any warmer, I am trying to anticipate that, and adjust my running for that. I'm just hoping summer running will start to acclimate sometime soon, and I will get tougher running in this hotter weather.