I'm wondering how important it is to eat to your meter. My friends tell me that I should check my blood sugar levels before and after I eat. I just usually check my blood sugar level after I eat. I don't mean to sound lazy but I tend to eat the same things each day and approximately the same amounts so I think I'm okay. Maybe I'm not. I may not have my blood sugar under control as well as I think I do. Anyone have an opinion on eat to your meter? Is it necessary to monitor your blood sugar levels before and after all meals?

I would say if your blood sugars are pretty stable, you don't need to change a thing.  It sounds like you eat consistently but it wouldn't hurt to check your BG before a meal once in a while to see how well it is.  If you are taking insulin, it would actually be a good idea so you can see how effective the insulin is.  I don't know if you are on medications or insulin but in any case, you have to do what makes sense.  If you think you need to check it beyond what the doctor wants, it certainly won't be a big deal.  You may find some useful information by doing it outside your schedule.

Eat to your meter is paramount. And, you need to test yourself before and after all meals. The more information you have the better control you will have over your diabetes. It is important that you get as much of the picture as you can. It is important to pay attention to what you eat and how each food affects blood sugar levels so that you can adjust your meal plan and insulin (if you are taking insulin) to get better control of blood sugar. Blood sugar levels are a delicate balancing act.

One major way of getting better control of blood glucose levels is to exercise regularly. Consider doing some bodybuilding (anaerobic, resistance) along with aerobic exercise. This mixture of exercise helps to stabilize blood sugar levels by burning glucose and making your metabolism run better. Keep in mind your food choices are important. If they don't match the available insulin in you system, you may need to get assistance from your physician. Your doctor can help realign your diet. Chances are you are taking in too many carbs and/or bad fats. It is well known that fat has a way of raising blood sugar levels throughout the day. You may find that you need to check your blood sugar levels in the middle of the night. It is not uncommon for blood sugar levels to drop dramatically in the night such that you end up with a high fasting sugar level in the morning. There is nothing simple about diabetes. The more you know about your blood sugar levels throughout the day and night the more you will have control over your diabetes. Make sure to keep a record of all measurements. Eat to your meter is your lifeline.