Okay...someone reassure me on this heat/humidity thing. I know logically that the hotter it is, the harder my body has to work to cool me down and I'll get slower, but will I ever adjust? I'm losing time here, and I don't have much to lose!!! I'm already slow enough. I had finally broke into the 9 minute range just to have summer sneak up on me.

Sorry, I guess this is more of a vent, but it's really frustrating me!! :flames:

You'll get used to it. Just keep hydrated. You may need to switch to running in the mornings instead.

:1:
What Ph said. Also try not to dwell on it. And on really hot days go morning or evening. I've been known to run after the sun had set in the evenings to avoid the sun.

the human body is very adaptable and over time you will become more accustomed to the heat and will become more efficient in handling the heat.

HYDRATE, HYDRATE is the key, and of course as stated earlier the mornings and evenings will become your friends!!

Thanks guys! I'm usually a morning runner anyway, but have started carrying a water bottle the past few runs, and you are right, it does help. I just needed to hear it from others!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I feel better!

I don't know.....sometimes you just have to try the didn't times to see what works for you. When I lived in San Antonio I ran around 11 or 12.....the morning humidity felt like it was gone. I would do track workouts at 6:00 in the evening and die.

In Florida I found that I absolutely cannot run in the early morning even before the sun's up!! But about 4-5 I'd be fine.

Wisconsin......sh*%.......I'm waiting to complain. Once it's hot here...it doesn't matter it'll be hot and nasty at all times between 10 and 4 am and that doesn't work.

so I'm one of those people "it's not the heat....it's the humidity"

Now bring it on!!!!!!

You're on the right track. Carry water and in Texas morning running is just about a necessity in the summer. Unless I'm going over 8-9 miles I don't usually need to drink more water as I hydrate well before running, but I carry it to dowse myself with from time to time and that is really refreshing when it's hot.

I agree with what everyone else said. Drink lots of water, during the day as well.

Just take it easy for now and let your body acclimate to the heat. That will probably take you a few weeks of running in the heat. Like everyone else said drink lots of fluids and eat foods that are high in water content like watermelons. Mmmmm.... nothing beats eating ice cold sweet water melons on a hot summer's day 8) Also it will be helpful if you can find sprinklers, a waterpark or a pool nearby. Great place to cool off during/after a hot day's run.

Ditto to what everyone else says. If you ever look at my race times you will see that all my summer and early fall races have slower times than my winter and early spring. This is due to the heat and humidity. I have gotten used to the fact that I race a little slower in the hotter months.

During the hot months I don't do a run of more than 6 miles at lunch. If we are running longer we go out at 6:30 in the morning before most of the heat arrives and we actually carry bottles and gatorade powder so we can make up gatorade at our water stop.

I hope all this helps.