I am going to Florida in March and I have to take my diabetes supplies to the beach with me for quite a few days during my stay.  Will my insulin be ok in a beach bag during the day?  I hate to go back to the hotel every time I need to take my insulin shot.  Any help with this would be great!  Thanks!

Hi guest,

Keep your insulin or the backpack out of direct sun.  You could put it in an insulated carrier, you don't necessarily need to ice it, just throw in a cool bottle of water (not frozen) to help keep the insulin within normal temp ranges.

Avoid temperature extremes.

Hope it helps.

I agree with Dan. You should keep the insulin out of direct sunlight and keep it in a cool area. If you don't, your insulin will be damaged and useless to you. It is essential that you keep it from heat. Most generally, insulin should not reach temperatures over 87 degrees F and Lantus shouldn't exceed 77 degrees. Freezing insulin is not recommended either. If your insulin becomes discolored or has floating particles in it, throw the vial away. You will do yourself more harm than good if you used insulin that has been damaged by extreme temperatures. Take special care of all your diabetic supplies. Testing strips are sensitive to extreme temperatures as well. You may want to bring a container with an ice pack in it, but don't place the ice next to the insulin. If you make sure all of your diabetes supplies are kept below the recommended temperature (but not freezing), you need not go to the hotel every time you need your insulin. Has anyone out there been on vacation with diabetes and had to carry testing supplies and insulin with you. What did you do to keep all the supplies cool and safe?