hey. i'm coming up 16 and I am not sexually active. I have recently noticed a small lump under the skin above my clitoris and to the left. It can't be seen because it's under the skin, but it can be felt. It's hard and not particularly painful, unless it's pressed. I've spoken to a few of my friends about it, and they seemed concerned, although they told me not to worry about it unless it gets bigger or more painful. I don't really want to tell my parents or see a doctor. I've read similar problems, but none of them seem to fit. Any ideas on what it is?

hey, im experiencing the same thing you are and i havent been sexually active. im worried too so can someone help me out?

I have that too .. im not sure what it is

but i think im going to go to the doctor and find out .

i.know.you.are.probably.hesitant.to.see.a.doctor.but.sometimes.that.is.the.best.way.to.get.answers.im.not.a.female.but.what.you.are.describing.doesnt.sound.too.serious..so.i.would.just.go.to.the.doctor.and.get.it.over.with.......good.luck.ladies

i have it to has anyone found out what it is yet ?
im really worried
:-(

do you think its normal ?
:s

It sounds to me like you are reffering to your clitoris....remember before our gender is revealed we all start out the same way....we either grow a penis and become a boy, or it stays small, and becomes a clitoris (this is an EXTREMELY simple example), but if you think of your clitoris as a mini penis...the clitoris we see is like the head of the penis, and the rest (shaft) is under the skin...or "HOOD" The clitoris is not as small as people think it is, we just can't see the whole thing.

I think it would be a good idea to look for some pictures so you can stop worrying....I hope this helps you, I know how scary it can be to think something is wrong and be too embarrassed to ask!
:-)

I just browsed in here while looking for something else and thought I'd add to what Pink Flamingo said-

Yes, its quite normal. There is even a particular name for what its called although it escapes me right now! Its good that you asked about it rather than worry about it for far too long.

Hope this helps!

I just went to my gyno today for the same sounding symptoms. Although my lump appears after intercourse with my husband, it still follows the same descriptions. my lump is extremely painful if pressure is applied. The first doctor i seen for it said it was a lympnode that was enlarged and to use a hot compress and it would go away. After dealing with it for about 3 years, I have finally found a gyno who said it is most likely isnt as simple as a lympnode. He said that it is most likely a ruptured vein and needs to have immediate attention. My advice to all of you is to get to a gyno and fight for an answer. Dont wait like I did, cause it gets worse. it went from the size of a pea to the size of a grape.

i have the same thing and im under the exact same circumstances as you are :S
to PinkFlamingo i definately know its not my clitoris, but its further above that, slightly to the left. mine only hurts if i apply pressure

i am in exactly the same position as you.
im 16, not sexually active and my lump is on the left.
if anyone ever finds out what it is, please come back and let us know!
im absolutely freaking out, someone help me!

If the lump is on your labia majora it might be an ingrown hair. I get those after shaving. But also it could be a cyst. If its hard and hurts when you put pressure on it and might feel like a bead under your skin, its probably a cyst. If its litteraly on the foreskin of the clitorus (the pink flappy skin just above of the acctual clit itself) then i dont exactly know what that is. It might be signs of an std, but you said your not sexually active. So it couldnt be that. Its probably 1 of the two first things i mentioned. You should see your doctor or gyno. If your too young too see a gyno and dont want to tell your parents, wait til your next check-up and tell your pediatrician.

Hi I have had the same problem since I was 7 years old I am now 31 !! It seems To go whilst on my period but Is worse just before I am due on I am very dry and Itchy and sometimes get paper cuts on my vagjna it feels like the hard lump cuts into me whilst sitting Or standing and can cut into me whilst waking Causing sharp pains I have a high pain threshold but can't touch it to burst it I have been docs before but they couldn't find Anything at the time not sure what to do it effects my personal relationship too

im 14 and not sexually active...i just found out i have a lump or bump on my prepuce clit. and im worried of what it may be. im to embarrased to speak with my mom about it. so i think i might wait a few weeks and see what happens. the bump iss not visible but its like inside of the skin and i can feel it move a little and it hurts if i do anything in the area of the pea sized bump..please figure what it is

Most women don't even know they have a bartholin's gland. It is a tiny gland inside each of the labia near the opening of the vagina, one gland on each side. They produce fluid that lubricates the vagina. There are tiny ducts in the gland and if those get 'clogged' up by skin cells or secretions, it can form a cyst - (a fluid filled sac). The cyst can grow from the size of a dime to larger than a golf ball. They can be tender and very painful when they are infected. Sometimes they aren’t painful at all and you just wake up one morning with a swelling on one side of your vagina, don't panic, there is help. What caused this annoying cyst? Sometimes they are caused by an infection in the Bartholin’s gland, but not always. The painful ones tend to be infected. Usually the infection is from the normal bacteria that are found on your skin and in your vagina. Virgins get these annoying cysts too, it doesn't only happen to females that are sexually active, so don't be afraid to tell your parent that you need to see a gynecologist. How do I know if I have one? You'll know if you have one. It isn’t very subtle. There will be a round tender 'lump' in one of the vaginal lips, near the opening of the vagina, use a mirror and you will see it. Cysts that get infected can become very painful. Go to a gynecologist or your health care provider and let that person determine if it is infected. Treatment: The treatment really depends on several things; the size of the cyst, how painful it is, if it is infected and how your health care provider chooses to treat them. A culture of the fluid in the cyst is usually taken to determine what organism is causing the infection, if indeed it is infected. Some cysts are just treated with oral antibiotics. Your gynecologist might decide to put a 'drain' into the cyst, The drain (like a thick string) stays in place for about 2 to 4 weeks. This allows the fluid to drain and causes a small opening to form inside the lip of your vagina. The drain is removed after that 2 - 4 week period. (Not a painful removal at all, not for me anyway). The opening will heal by itself, it will not be a noticeable opening. If you have had a cyst that keeps coming back or if it is very large, usually larger than a grape, your gynecologist may decide to do a different procedure, especially if you have had it drained already. An incision is made in the cyst to drain the fluid that has built up inside. (I have had it done, it is fairly painful, but Tylenol helps and it is worth getting rid of the darn thing)! This, however, is no guarantee that it will never come back OR you can get another one. If it does come back It can be treated again. (The procedure is called marsupialization, from the word that means to make a pouch). Antibiotics may be given to you at this time also. Sometimes an oral antibiotics is all that is needed to treat a cyst, especially if you catch it early. Remember, it is not necessarily caused from an STD, not most of the time. Let your health care provider know if it does reoccur, don't wait for it to become too large again. Prevention You really can't actively prevent them, if you know of a way, let me know. I found that the pressure on that area of my body from riding my bicycle caused my cyst to flare-up. It seems to be more of a case of bad luck than anything else, ask your GYN, that is probably what they will say also. Many women never get one at all. If you do get one (or one on each side), it does tend to come out when you are stressed or 'run down'. If you think you have a Bartholin's gland cyst, call your health care provider right away so you can get early and effective treatment.

hi, i have a huge bump about half an inch above my clitoris. it constantly hurts and i don't know what to do. can someone tell me what it is. it only showed up like 2 days ago by the way.