PLEASE HELP! A bit long, but I need advice and reassurance. I am tortured and torn up about this, I can't see a doctor until the end of this week. :'(

Story: about a week and a half ago, I was showering and noticed that I have a nodule/lump on the upper right side of my vagina, on the labia majora [the soft, fleshy, pink area, not my actual skin, though it is closer to my outer skin than the inside of my vagina - when I stand up it's on the very outer edge of the lip, not entirely inside].

Of course, I freaked. I have been sexually active for several years. I have been consistent with using condoms, but several months ago when I was casually dating someone and we had sex, the condom broke, slid off inside me and naturally we had 'skin to skin' contact. So I am scared of HPV, I was scared of herpes too but I was relieved when I passed the 2 1/2 week incubation time for herpes and nothing showed up. He said he was tested every 6 months and he was an honest, if not blunt person and had no reason to lie. But I am worried. 

To describe the bump: it's more under the skin than above it, if that makes sense. It blends in with the surrounding skin and it feels like a semi-hard lump that moves around a bit when I touch it. It's almost painless and it doesn't itch. When I pull back the surrounding skin [to expose where the bump actually is], it looks like a dark white color. I've done a few compresses and it's gotten slightly smaller, but otherwise hasn't changed. It doesn't look like any genital warts I've looked up online...in fact, it almost looks like a cyst but it doesn't have a head right now. I was shaving a lot, with not a very sharp razor either, often for the 2 1/2 months preceeding the cyst. I have also been on 2 new birth controls recently, and I have been getting cysts on my face, so I wonder if you can get them on your vagina, too [?]. 

Can you get a cyst in such a weird spot? I can't think of anything else, since it doesn't seem like a wart, and it is definitey not herpes... THANK YOU! I am very scared. :( 

Health Guru
Hi, with out actually being able so see it hard to actually say what it could be but you can get a cyst any where really specially a bartholin cyst on the vagina what is caused by a blocked duct from the bartholin gland but that's more down near the vagina entrance on the labia minora. I could also of been caused by shaving with a blunt razor specially seeing as its on the outter labia majora, just keep putting hot compresses on it and see if it will draw it out Hope this helps :-)

Thanks for the quick reply /hugs/ It's near the top of my vagjna, directly adjacent to my clitoris and on my labia but it's closer to where my actual skin is. So it's not on my clitoris but for a reference point that's where it is near. Can you get a bartholian (sp) cyst near the top of your vagjna? I'm guessing it is just a cyst or in grown hair but I am afraid. :( There's no sign of a head and it is virtually painless so I'm scared to even try to mess with it at all. I stuck a clean dermatological needle into it about 5 days ago and some blood came out and it got a little smaller but I don't want to try that again.

I guess what is scaring me is that the lump is on the actual fleshy part of my vagjna, not my regular skin. But I've always had a tendency to get cysts from shaving on my actual skin down there (like on my mons) so Idk.

Health Guru
I wouldn't think that's it's to much to worry about, it could just be caused by a hair follicle from when you shaved, bartholin cysts will only appear down either side of your vagina entrance as that's where the batholin glands are, by what you describe I would say it is just a cyst. If your still worried about it and it hasn't gone down by the end of the week it might be worth getting your doctor to take a look :-) Hope this has helped and put your mind at ease a little, if you do go see your Dr it would be good if you could post the answer to what it was as it'll help others with the same problem.

Thanks again, I wish I could take a pic of it, but I'm seeing the doctor anyway tomorrow. It actially has gotten a little smaller throughout the week. I think you are right, it does seem like a cyst of some kind, it doesn't resemble a wart of any kind in any way. This is just my OCD acting up. I will see what the dr. says tomorrow but I'm expecting them to just say it's a cyst or plugged follicle of some kind I can't think of anything else that it could be based off it's appearance.

Good news: I went to doctor, and she proclaimed it is either an ingrown hair or a pimple most likely but it is NOT a wart. I knew in the back of my mind it was not a wart, but I was still paranoid! So thank you for the reassurance. It is probably from shaving. Hopefully the compresses will help, since it's gotten a little smaller yet it is still sticking around and there's no 'head' present. :-/ If anyone knows how to get rid of ingrown hairs or really deep cystic pimples in such a sensitive area, I'd appreciate advice, since I don't think anyone wants a pimple here! 

Health Guru
I would just carry on with the hot compresses and in time I think it will probably go down on its own, I would think more along the lines of a pimple than ingrown hair as there normally painful and normally come to a head quick, you could always try piercing it with a sterile needle and see what happens Hope it soon clears up for you and if you have any more questions feel free to ask :-)