so strange but i am having the same problem. I am hesitant to get all wrapped up with the doctors and of course medication, so i am hoping this will resolve on its own. I have some upper stomach issues so that may be part of the cause, I understand it is the vagel nerve that is causing the skipped heartbeat. I do feel a bit more tired that before and of course slightly worried.

I cant believe I found these postings! This is the most distressing experience. Its grown to such magnitude I dont want to eat...Have you found any answers in regards Vagus nerve?? If you have dr that understands that please let me know name.thanks so much...all the best

we are the only ones recent postings. Did you get any understanding of this vagal nerve stimulation?? Whenever I eat, my heart skips and skips beats. MOST disturbing...have you found any answers?

I had this issue for two months. 1/10 swallows would trigger a palp sensation, bending over or twisting after sitting still. EKGs were clean, holter was applied on a day I had none, Thyroid was clear. The problem vanished and reappeared after consumption of alcohol in January giving palps on 50% of the time I swallow. I have yet to return to the dr to continue investigating but was hoping this thread contained some direction as to where to look. I was thinking of having my gallbladder tested to see if this is an acid issue.

OMG this is the story of my life. specially the consumption of alcohol. I tried a little bit once for a very long time and now this. skips a beat when swallowing. Holter, ECG, 2DEcho all fine. Will go to the doc and see about this Vagus nerve or acid issue.

Just read the posts in this forum. I feel for you guys as I have gone through exactly what you have all experienced. I am 55 now and battled this for about ten years way back in the 90's. I did all the testing including an EP study and visits to the Mayo clinic. In the end we all agree it is an inappropriate stimulation of the vagus nerve due to irritation of the esophagus by acid reflux. I have been on PPI's for 20 years now with complete relief of that problem(good news I hope). I'd rather not be on PPI's but it is better than the palpitations. The problem typically is worse during the day when you are awake and active. At night I never had problems. This is because vagal stimulation at night is appropriate = no problem. During the day the vagal tone backs off which creates problems for the heart rhythm if two competing systems try to operate. Sympathetic tone dominates during the day and vagal tone dominates at night.
I'd be very interested to know if anyone has found a way to manage this problem without using PPI's.
Peter

I have the same experience, it went away for months and now all of the sudden it's happening again. My cardiologist was not worried but it is a pain to deal with.

Hi tcouncilman23722,
have you checked if it is related to Hemorrhoid issues? you can test that by using OTC cream and you should feel 25 to 50 percent better right the first day, then you'll know it is hemorrhoids.

Good luck!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Mine were gone for about 8 months too and now they're back! Did you ever figure yours out? I keep wondering if it's somehow related to seasonal allergies?

I am a 58 yr old female. I have this same issue. I had the swallowing with palpitations 13 years ago. My cardiologist sent me to an electro physiologist who did a cardiac ablation. He went into my heart via a vein and did some "zapping". It worked really well. No palpitations at all. THEN, they just started up again 2 weeks ago after 13 free years. Still no reason why, but I'm set for another ablation next month. I'm glad to see I'm not alone because every doctor looks at me strangely when I tell them it only happens when I eat/drink!

I get this too when swallowing. Exactly the same. Had it a out à year ago for a few months. Went away and now back. I also get the same thing if I feel gas coming up windpipe. Causes a lumpy feeling for a second or two that results in the same skipped beat sensation. Any one else get that also?

I've been experiencing palpitations when I eat for a couple months now. These palpitations are especially worse during dinner time. It's annoying, frustrating, and scary. But after reading these posts, I feel like I at least have some information to bring to my doctor.

Thanks everyone this is all such good for information! can I ask what type of dr you saw? My cardiologist never heard of so ch a thing. It was actually my brother who he s a pharmacist that suggested nexium during these flare ups.

Yes!!! My cardiologist thinks I’m nuts... I’m in a flare up now.

I am 15 years old male and everytime I swollow my heart beat goes faster then it normally does I’m scared for it I wanna drink water but I’m to afraid too