I had a period of high anxiety (am 32), not in the best shape and a bit overweight, like 20 pounds.

Lost job, very ugly circumstances with boss and company. Over course of working at company, 1.5 years worth, high stress, obvious job dissatisfaction. Heart palpitations started to happen. Was not dealing with stress, working out, eating properly, keeping social networks like I would usually do. Had to leave state and city I was living in and physically move.

Went to hospital with high blood pressure after almost fainting, blood pressure went down.

Anyway, now have rapid heart rate only when I have a bowel movement ! And when I do, it always looks like diarrehea! It is really scary and had a lot of anxiety. Worse with more complicated and heavier foods.

Doctor put me -- naturopathic -- stomach enzymes, while medical doctor started me on Buspirone, for general anxiety saying I had an anxiety disorder due to all the events that happened to me.

Any idea what this is ? I am scared to eat anything, and have trouble sleeping, this bowel movement usually wakes me up in the night.

Also, I have had a severe car accident in the past, where my nerves and nervous system were jarred before. Could my nervous system not be able to stand this latest episode ?

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with me. I would like to eat and return to a normal existence!

Thanks!

I am sorry that I can't help you figure out what this is, but it might be helpful to know that I have experienced something similar (actually it is why I am awake right now). I was searching for answers and found this and was at least relieved to know this happens to someone else. I have found that I awaken from sleep with a rapid heart rate and a very warm feeling. When I do, i usually have to have a BM. I am also on beta blockers to keep my heart rate down, but it still goes up in this situation. I am also in the process of being diagnosed with sleep apnea, so that is a possibility as well. But I am 26 yrs old and overweight, and also not physically fit. No idea....

I there. I too have been having these same problems for the last couple of months. Went into the emergency room and the doctor said he thought it was sleep apnea. I started on beta blockers (coreg) in May of last year. I would like to know if any of you come to a resolution on this. I am very interested in finding a solution. All I know is I hate the scared feeling it gives me.

endocrineweb.com/pheo.html

You might look into seeing an endocrinologist to check for a pheochromocytoma. It's something I got tested for just today. I'd never heard of it before.

And trust me, anxiety can do funky things to your digestive system. I think I'm finally coming out of a month-long blip due to severe anxiety and depression.

I google the terms racing heart and bowels and got your blogs - anyway I also seem to have similar symptoms - - whenever my heart races I have to go the bathroom - - get shakey and light headed - I am also on beta blockers but it seems to happen randomly - like now.

I also have experienced this. the doctor put me on low blood pressure medicine. he said when I have pressure in the bowel, it impacts the vagus nerve and causes the heart rate to drop. the diarrhea is from anxiety. i have been taking wheat grass capsules from health food store and have changed my work and spend more time in r& R. Also drink chamomile tea in the evening. Trying to eat more bulk,natural, fresh foods, and will begin walking. don't like the blood pressure medicine. makes me really tired and my hands and feet cold.

at times before b/m heart rate goes to 150 or more and at other time the b/p goes high. have hiatal hernia. take b/p meds. feel bubbling just above waist line before heart beat speeds up or b/p rises. after b/m, things go back to normal.

WOW! my 89 year-old mother has this problem...you need to get a grip on your health!! Besides good diet exercise & drinking lots of liquids, I'd suggest alt med... ie I 'm giving mother [and myself] and ayruvedic herb called Ashwaganda[winter cherry] in a pill form for anxiety..it seems to help and lavender-smelling lotion really IS amazingly calming. [it may not help if your colleagues are flipping out because you're using this "old lady' cure] At your ages you should be able to respond quickly to subtle treatment and try to stay away from the heavy stuff ...good luck!!

I read all the messages and now don't feel so alone or crazy.
I've had thorough test with my cardiologist. A treadmill exercise heart ultrasound - perfect, EKG's - perfect, worn a haltor monitor, all good. I've had palpitations and bouts of tachycardia for over 30 years. As my doctors say, it's all benign. I am on a new beta blocker, Toprol XL, they stopped manufacturing Inderal so after 30 years on it had to change. I to have been experience high stress - elderly parents, mother not well, stress at work, relationship issues. Sometimes I feel like I am running and getting nowhere. The last few months, sometimes when I have a bowel movement my heart beats faster than normal and afterwards for a minute or two my hands feel tingly. Non numb, just tingly. It feels just like a panic attack. so I calm myself down and then I'm ok. I walk a lot, keep busy, heart is fine. So doctor has prescibed xanax, haven't started taking it yet. I was glad to read the one email about the vagus nerve. It is just scary and I've been to oembarrassed to tell my doctors what happens.

Hi my name is Lonna and I too experience almost every symptom mentioned on this website. I told my doctor that after I have a bowel movement my heart races. It is so scary I just want to die sometimes. I was in a bad car accident and I wonder sometimes if that is the reason why I'm having some of these problems. I'am now on a beta blocker. I swear if I did not take that I would have a heart attack. I just want to say that I was reading up on hiatal hernias, and my doctor said that sometimes hiatal hernias push on the bottom of your heart so if there is pressure of some kind in there it could be causing the rapid heart rate. A lot of people have hiatal hernias. I was diagnosed with one a while back. I also noticed a lot of burping. Please if anyone can relate contact me. I feel like I'm all alone sometimes. I want to feel normal someday!!!

My name is Betty. I just came off a two week heart monitor because for the past few months I would have palps in my throat while having a bowel movement. Even though I have had palps for over 25 years and been tested, only to have the Dr. say nothing to worry about. But this new thing with the bowel movements and palps really had me scared. The test showed pvc's and pac's which the Dr. said were benign. I don't know where to go from here. I do have a history of digestive problems and horrible flatulence, also a hiatal hernia. I can put up with it as long as I know it's part of the aging process or some other benign reason.

I am 38 yr old male and all of this is very familiar as I have the same problems. however mine is complicated by asthma which I can tell if I'm having an asthma attack, panic attack or just have to have a BM which usually clears things up for me if you know what I mean ;-)
Unless it is really asthma then I have other issues. I also have a thyroid problem so who knows what the problem is but definitely a link with BM blood pressure and rapid heart rate/palpitations.
I even get the BM attacks on planes?

about ten years ago after my first child i noticed some strange symptoms. Before I have a BM I will be told by my body through spots in my vision, my heart racing, tingelingness in my fingers, disorientation. I have gone to every Dr known to mankind and I get NOWHERE. I am guessing its stress. My body is sensitive......sometimes I can get a grip but then it will go back to crazy BM. ITs nothing for me to have 15 small constiapted BM in a day that are hard to pass. My heart will pound till it comes out. It flat out sucks! I also get palps too for 13 years. I have a monitor on.....right now.

wow I am THRILLED to hear this same thing happens to others. sorry for you all, but now I don't feel alone. Seem to be similarities amongst us, and a combination of 3 or 4 (or more but not all!) of the following: anxiety issues, dizzy or migrain like aura, poor eating habits, (I am not overweght though), hx of high bp, and/or beta blocker use and/or tachycardia (rapid heart rate not induced by exercise). HOWEVER, we ALL have two things in common bowel movement and racing heart... My question is this to you all. Does the racing heart begin shortly after the sensation to poop and ends shortly after the bm passes(especailly a lot or a large piece??), which could mean a whole hour or just a few minutes later??? What strikes me is if theoretically anxiety (adrenaline) causes the bowels to move, why does the whole thing end very shortly after the bm passes? Get this; If I notice the aura like symptoms (dizzy, odd, sometimes nauseaus, warm or weak feeling with heart beginning to race then shaky and cold after) I've learned to go straight to the bathroom, bear down and try to pass everything... and it pretty much halts the whole event! Bearing down to bm use to be scary because I felt like I was having a heart attack, minus the pain although I do get short of breath. But then i noticed if I bore down and passed the bm the whole "attack" ended within a few minutes! There is something going on inside us and I would lke to know what it is!!! Again, these doctors who put me on drugs to slow my heart rate, or reduce my anxiety, seem to be treating the results not the cause. And by the way, xanax valium etc. causes constipation in many people!! Its Ok to use for the attack of course, but more than that and it could worsen the situation.

I feel somewhat better knowing I am not the only one here. For the past 12 months I have experienced a rapid heart beat upon waking up in the morning or when I have a bowel movement. These are the only times, other than this my heartbeat if normally in the 60's, when these ebvents occur it goes up to about 120-130. About five minutes before the BM, I start getting flushed, sweaty and my body starts shaking, my heart begins to race and I have to run to the bathroom. Three times so far , ym heart has gone so fast that I have passed out on the floor. It is really scary when it happens, and i am afraid of going out to far places from my home because I dont want it to happen there. From my nursing school experience, i realized that it must have something to do with my vagus nerve, so i went to a neurologist and cardiologist to have it checked out. They feel as though my nervous system is misfiring, and instead of my bp and heart rate going down when I am having a BM like it should be doing, mine is going haywire and increasing instead. I have been under major stress for the past 3 years and they feel as though it has taken a toll on my body. I feel very depressed at this point, because it happens all the time now. My body never used to do this. Structurally my heart is fine, but its electric conduction system, comtrolled by the CNS is off kilter...the bad thing, they havent given my any options to fix it!! Im so upset about it, I feel like I am never going to be normal again.