My friend is 54 years old and it looks like he has some very severe disease. It is called Wegener’s granulomatosis and I must admit that the symptoms are really awful. It seems as of every part of his body is falling apart... Can you tell me if this disease is contagious? Not that I am afraid for myself, but I just need to know.

You are right, it is a very severe disease and up to couple of decades ago, it was lethal, patients did not have more than a year, even less. This disease includes ceasing of functioning of several organs, like kidneys, lungs, breathing problems also happen, nose crusting and deformation. But it is not contagious and is treatable today.

Hello there,

It is understandable that you are frightened and that you want to know is this condition is contagious or not.  Everybody would want to know if the person who has been his best friend for year and suddenly get sick can infect you. This is the law of survival so it is wise to try to get an answer for your suspicion.

Luckily, Wegener’s granulomatosis isn’t contagious and these days it is treatable but few decades ago situation was very different and this was very severe condition. Doctors were prognosing about one year of life to the patients who were diagnosed with Wegener’s granulomatosis.

Be support through your friend until he get better and don’t avoid him just because he is sick.